Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Wednesday, December 28, 2005
Waning Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Venus Retrograde
Sunny and chilly

Day work was fine yesterday. The train was packed in both directions, which surprised me.

I used my Border’s coupon (given to me when I shopped there last week) to get Word Painting and The Practical Writer. Both look like they’re going to be wonderful reads. There’s so much information in the latter that I need to add to my mailing lists, etc., for the quarterly newsletter.

I’m going to sing a little ditty about the importance of goals and giving yourself something for which to strive over at the Scruffy Dog Review blog. Check back later today and read it, if you get a chance.

Outlined a new piece that’s pulling at me, hard. The thing is, I don’t know if it will be marketable (although I suspect, with work, it will). But it is a way of dealing with the Situation, sort of writing myself through The Situation if you will (and even if you won’t, I will). So, I figure, when I’m feeling under pressure, I’ll do some work on it. It will help me feel better, and I may even find some solutions in the writing. As Helen Benedict points out in her essay “Fiction Vs. Nonfiction: Wherein lies the Truth?” one can often get closer to truth in fiction than by outright reportage, especially emotional truth. Tentative title is Life With Aunt Dot – and, believe me, if this does turn into an actual piece rather than an exercise, a new title will be found. Maybe under a rock or in a garage or that trunk in the attic.

Turkey dinner leftovers tonight, yum, with the rest of the Beaujolais Nouveau.

And then, paperwork. I realized I needed to send yet more New Year’s cards, and I also had a stack of business letters to write. Pulled some job openings off the boards, and today I have to actually pitch. It’s not about getting around to it when I have time – it’s about making time. And there’s a long-term consulting job in Boston that I really, really, really want, so I’m putting together the package for that. I don’t think the pay would be super terrific, but the rewards would be tremendous, in terms of location, commitment, transition and positive impact on the community.

Slowly, I’m excavating my desk. I hate it when it’s this slow.

Errands to run and then it’s off to City Hall to do some research for The Situation. I also want to get some creative writing done later today and work on those business pitches. There’s one that sounded good when I first pulled it, but the more I re-read it, the more I’m convinced I’m the wrong person for it. A little too structured, a little too corporate, and it doesn’t sound like enough bucks for the hassle. There are two others that sound both interesting and, if the people will pay my rates, the beginning of a good working relationship. So, I want to get those out today.

Off we go.

Devon
Circadian Poems
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
The Scruffy Dog Review

1 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Thoroughly enjoyed the article in Scruffy Dog Review about goals - it really spoke to me. It is so hard to "persist without exception" (quoting Andy Andrews here - I saw his tape - hilarious ad very true) - and so easy to stop before the final goal is hit. Or find excuses for not finishing. Your article really hit is on the head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home