Saturday, January 28, 2006

Saturday, January 28, 2006
Dark Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Venus Retrograde
Sunny and warmer

Got a call yesterday afternoon to work on yet something else, so I went off and did it. So now the show is mad at me because I wasn’t available at the last minute to drop everything and come in to do a track I don’t know with new actors and no notes. Ah, the life of the theatre! You know, I can’t sit around and wait for the possibility that they will call me at the last minute – I have to take the work offered.

When I got home, I worked on the revised Chapter 10 of Clear the Slot and then read through everything I’ve got so far. I’m happy with it, but I was dismayed by all the typos. I flagged everything and will go in and do the fixes page by page (there were a few more edits and tightenings I found, too, but the majority of mistakes were typos – disconcerting because I’ve gone over and over and OVER those chapters). I want to brush everything up and then move on to the second half of the book. The massive restructuring/edits/rewrites are in the upcoming chapters. I figure I’ll need most of February to finish this revision. So it will be March before I can start querying.

Did some work on Hearth Phoenix. It’s difficult. Pushes a lot of buttons. But I’m also making interesting discoveries as I work on it. I can’t actually articulate them yet, but I work on a section and then I realize what it means to me on various levels.

Booked all weekend (not at the show), so I have to fit the writing in and around everything else that needs to be done. As the writing needs to be done.

There were two interviews on television last night with French philosopher Bernard-Henri Levy, about his new book, American Vertigo, detailing his travels around America. He was fascinating in both interviews, truly filled with ideas, not simply opinions on ideology, and his book has now made my Must-Read list.

Devon

PS Anyone else really pissed off that Ford is laying off 30,000 employees? They claim it’s a “last resort” – yeah, right. I wonder how many executives have been laid off and how many six-figure salaries – including the CEO’s – were reduced before this “last resort.” When the executives earn the same as the workers, then I’ll believe they tried to do everything they could to avoid this. Because, let’s face it, without the people who actually do the work, the executives have no reason to be there. Typical.

2 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I agree on Ford - sickening. Absolutely sickening.
It's happening all over - our town has lost seven factories and thousands of well-paying jobs when the factories went overseas.
It's wierd - our politicians set up things like Nafta which allow the execs to line their pockets by shipping the jobs out to $1 per hour markets, then they exercise "eminent domain" and take private property to supposedly "help" the US economy, which wouldn't need help except for their stupid policies in the first place.
We're being sold up the river by politicians and corporations which have the politicians in their pockets.
End of rant.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

I have a good friend who lives in a suburb of Detroit. We were talking the other day and she was sharing how the jobs lost in the automobile industry in their area increases expotentially jobs lost in areas that provide services to auto workers and her concern about the financial stability of the Detroit area as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home