Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sunday, January 22, 2006
Waning Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Venus Retrograde
Sunny and cool

Short (I think) entry today. Finished the newsletter yesterday – I want to do another proofreading of it before I print it and mail it out.

Researched some more markets. I may have some material for some of them, but I also got ideas for some new work.

Worked on Shallid – interesting how, as I get closer to the end of it, it’s more and more difficult. There are 13 books in this series – it’s not like I won’t be with these characters again. But I’m having trouble finishing and letting go. However, I’m going to push ahead and do it. I’m about four pages from my goal from the month, and probably forty pages from the end of the draft.

Pushed aside the furniture yesterday afternoon, put on the music and danced. I was trained in ballet, tap, jazz, and modern. For awhile, I considered making that my career. However, I don’t like other people to tell me what I’m supposed to look like (even as a teenager I was more likely to flip someone off than throw up to fit what “They” thought was the norm –besides, I was a very thin teenager to begin with), and being a performer gives too many other people too much control. Plus, I got injured playing basketball and had to give up dancing when I didn’t heal properly. For years, I felt because I chose to give it up, because there were so many people who chose to do it, I’d given up the option to do it just for myself.

Yesterday, I proved myself wrong. The training and technique still hold. I had good teachers, and I paid attention. I still enjoy the choreography aspect, and I spent a couple of hours just doing studio work because I wanted to. It was great. Mix occasional dance sessions with the yoga (which, right now, is limited due to the elbow injury), and I think staying fit will be something I look forward to doing on a daily basis.

I also painted. Just because I felt like it. There were a couple of pages of just getting used to the feel of a brush in my hands, but then I painted a tree. My tree, not someone else’s tree. And it looks like a tree, and it looks like my tree, and I’m happy with it. And the experience of painting was invigorating, liberating, and inspirational. It helped me return to the page with a better perspective.

I’m reading Susanna Clarke’s novel Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. It’s quite fascinating. I want to read the entire novel before I comment on it, because I wonder if some of the things that hit me oddly in the reading of the early chapters are deliberate set-ups for later. I want to see it through before I make my final decision.

Off to acupuncture, and then back to do some more writing. Shallid waits, and I’ve got to get Elise, Emmett, Lucas, and Maddie out of the pickle in which I’ve left them.

I needed to clear my head of Clear the Slot for a couple of days to regain perspective, but I plan to return to the revisions tomorrow.

Devon

4 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Lara said...

I want to see your tree! :-)

It always amazes me how you can work on so many novels and stories at once. I think I managed to bounce between two, and that was a long time ago. Just hearing about your accomplishments is very inspiring.

ps I took tap and jazz for a while, too, but I was forced to make a choice between that, or violin. I resembled a retarded beanpole when I danced anyway, so I chose the violin. But I liked it while I did it!

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Ann said...

That's great about your dancing - I think different types of art a person does kind of "feed into" each other and strengthen each other, and stretch the other areas of art, if that makes any sense. Although it's amazing you can have time for anything, with the amount and quality of writing you do!

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Lostinblogg said...

Here...here...I want to see the tree too!! Maybe if we ask really, really nice and say the magic words?? Please?

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

I'm enjoying Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell too, about 2/3rd's through. I've got some thoughts about it as well that I'm holding off commenting on until after I'm done. Look forward to reading what you think of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home