Thursday, January 19, 2006

Thursday, January 19, 2006
Waning Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Venus Retrograde
Sunny and mild

That was some storm. Tens of thousands of people without power over the tri-state area, and many still without power.

My mother was staying at someone’s house in Greenwich. Not only was there no power, but a tree fell on (someone’s) car in front of the driveway, so she couldn’t even leave to get somewhere where there was power. And she was running out of medication and her cell phone battery was fading.

I called CT Light & Power and told them the situation. They flagged the address to indicate there was a senior citizen who needed help, but said they don’t make the decisions about where to send work crews, the police did, and it would probably be four or five days before they’d get to her.

So, I called the police department and told them what the power company said. The dispatcher, when I repeated the 4-or-5 day comment said, “I don’t think so. I’m sending someone over right now.”

Crews showed up shortly thereafter, and my mom is on her way home now.

The City Council meeting was fascinating. Long, but fascinating. I don’t feel abandoned by the City the way I did going in. I feel that the Council is actually going to take into consideration the citizens, rather than just following the dollars. And that’s all one can hope for at this stage, isn’t it?

Of course, many things were discussed, and it was fascinating to watch the discussion and decision-making process in the town. There are people in our city government who actually do have a commitment to both the city and the individual citizens in it, and are trying to balance the needs of the majority with the needs of the individual. That is very heartening.

I shan’t do a blog for The Situation yet. Too much changes too quickly. Literarily, as soon I post, something will shift. Plus, it gives those who wish to hurt my family ammunition. I will, however, keep working on the fiction piece to get to the emotional truth of the matter. Whether I’ll ever publish it is something else, but working on it gives me a way to process and think and visualize. It utilizes what I do best in order to both relieve some of the personal stress and come up with ideas that can be used in life, not just art.

On the writing front, I did a lot of reading yesterday (when it was light enough), mostly a biography of costume designer Edith Head, as research for The Fix-It Girl. I also worked on the edits for Clear the Slot. Because I’m rearranging the chapters, this is a messy bit, and I have to be meticulous about tracking pages and changes. The overall flow of the book is much better, though.

Errands to do, and another meeting tonight.

And, hopefully, writing.

Off I go.

D.

1 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Lara said...

WHEW!! You probably literally saved your mom! I'm glad she's ok.

Hope you get lots of writing in!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home