Thursday, January 05, 2006

Thursday, January 5, 2006
Waxing Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Venus Retrograde
Who knows? Still dark – though it sounds wet

Short entry today because I got a late night call to do the TV show. It will be a long day at numerous locations downtown, so off I go.

Worked on both The Fix-It Girl and Shallid yesterday.

The bulk of the day was spent on the edits for Clear the Slot. I typed the first three chapters, with their edits, and did more edits. Then I went over it again and found typos (hate spell check). I called a character a “pin in the ass” instead of a “pain in the ass.” That kind of mistake. Revised, revised, revised chapters 4, 5 & 6. Started on Chapter 7 and did a bit of work on Chapter 8.

Here I thought I made so much progress cutting and tightening, but, in the first three chapters, I’m only two pages shorter. Sigh. 98 more pages to cut.

The other choice would be to end Clear the Slot at an earlier point. I found another chapter ending that has potential as the book ending. However, that might make Sweep Check too long, and I’d really rather not write all of Sweep Check before I start shopping CTS. But how else will I know how the two volumes balance each other? Since outlines are merely jumping off points. We’ll see. I have to see what serves the story best. I don’t think I can stretch that first year over three books – that’s unfair to the reader, much as I love these characters.

If I keep with the substantial cuts I made in Chapters 4-6, maybe I’ll feel more on the right track.

Can I just go live in that book, please? I’m having way too much fun with it.

Speaking of hockey, goalie Garth Snow was injured last night in the Islanders vs. Panthers game. The Islanders’ other goalie, Rick DiPietro, sprained his knee about a week or so ago. The backup recalled from Bridgeport went in for the last eight seconds of the game and the OT win (thanks to Parrish and Bates). Snow’s one of my favorite players – it looked bad when they carried him off the ice, and I hope he heals up quickly. My heart just about stopped when he didn’t get up from the collision (he always bounces back up) – and it couldn’t have been fun for him, either. He looked like he was in a lot of pain, and TSN lists the injury as “lower body” and he’s going day-to-day. Blake also got injured early in the game and is day-to-day. Believe me, they missed Blake last night. Best wishes to both for quick recovery.

And the Islanders needed this win – breaking a five game losing streak. Watching Mark Parrish mature as a person and a player over the past few years has truly been a joy. There are a lot of great guys on the team, (Bates, Blake, Hunter, York, Godard, Snow, the list keeps going), but Parrish’s growth in particular stands out. It’s great to watch them go from talented kids into dynamic men.

Gotta run. Today promises to be a long day full of exteriors, and who knows how late I’ll get back.

Devon

2 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

I'm deep in editing my novel, too. It was good to come here and find someone involved in the same process (and making the same kind of typos!)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger bigsip said...

Hi, Devon! I saw your blog on the WD Forums and your AKA on Wild Child.

My personal blog is pretty dead, but my friends and I have a hoppin' blog at http://midnightcafediscussions.blogspot.com/

I also post as jasipper on the WD Forums. I wish you the best with your writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home