Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Tuesday, January 17, 2006
Waning Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Venus Retrograde
Sunny and cold

Wouldn’t it be nice if we lived Dr. King’s dream every day instead of just noticing it once a year?

On the 6:19 AM yesterday (which, of course, was late), but got out to the studio in plenty of time. It was a good day – we were re-shooting a scene from Episode #2, which I had not worked on -- so I was trying to match people from photographs, not having been there initially.

Of course, casting didn’t send us the same people (or they just didn’t show) and some of them didn’t wear the same clothing, but, for the most part, it was fine. I mean, why send us an African American man with dreadlocks to replace an Asian woman?

There was one guy, though – he came late, pulled two shirts out his bag, threw them at me, and said, “I need these ironed. See what you can do about it.”

And I said, “You come with your clothes pressed. And you check in with the BG person and then you get looked at by wardrobe. We are not your valets.” I reported him to the person in charge of the BG, who had a few words with him, letting him know that he’d be removed from the set if he ever pulled a stunt like that again. And it’s not even like those were clothes he was going to wear for the scene!

Then, of course, he argues, “My sister’s supposed to do this stuff.”

So only women iron?

I said to him, “Maybe you oughta learn how to pick up an iron and take care of your own stuff. Like an adult.”

On a happier note, one of my favorite extras from the other pilot, back in October, was there. He’s such a great guy, and he works all the time. It’s always a pleasure to see him. More than makes up for the assholes that wander through.

Something I noticed, working BG: very often, we have to dress them in uniforms for court scenes, etc. The men rarely give their correct sizes the first time, especially waist size. They give a smaller size and then complain when the pants don’t fit. Boys, get over the vanity – I have 15 minutes on a good day to dress you, and I can’t be running around four or five times because you gave me the wrong size! The women, on the other hand, are great with their sizes and upfront.

For the most part, though, this group was very nice. The re-shoot ran smoothly, it was a powerful scene – I jumped one time because it was so realistic – and we were done by lunch (which was 2 PM).

I ate about a block away at a really neat diner place called Cup – food was good, although the staff was frazzled.

And spent the afternoon putting through the laundry, prepping for the next day, tagging and bagging clothes from this episode that now have to be stored, just in case. Every tie, every sock, every cufflink has to be meticulously tracked – in case of more re-shoots, like today, weeks after the original, or in case they ever decide to flash back to something from a previous episode. Organization and a strong system are key. Keeping to that system under time and budget constraints (because, no matter how much a company allots for a show, there are ALWAYS budget constraints) is a miracle. It says a lot about our supervisors that it runs so well, and it says a lot about the production company that they give the support necessary for it to run well. They’re smart – they know if they support us now, it saves them money down the road. They see the big picture instead of only seeing the day’s end financial tally. They’re the kind of company one wants to work for in this business. And beautifully unique.

Came home, collapsed into bed, watched a bit of TV. Watched some hockey, read a bit, couldn’t concentrate, because I’m so fatigued, physically and emotionally.

Today I’m at the theatre, but tomorrow and Thursday will be about dealing with The Situation.

Today, I’m also hoping to get in some work on the Fantasy Epic. I’m falling behind in the writing – again, mostly from the injured arm (which hurts A LOT today) and the emotional strain of The Situation.

Devon
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems

The Scruffy Dog Review

2 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Sorry about your arm--will acupuncture help?

Good for you with the non-ironing swinehead. What a prig!

Hope you were able to get some rest!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I'm sorry to hear that your arm is continuing to bother you. I know that you use the heat compresses you mentioned to me, have you considered using a heating pad on your arm while your at home?

I hope it shows improvement for you very soon. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home