Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Wednesday, January 4, 2006
Waxing Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Venus Retrograde
Sunny and cool


12 dead miners, one clinging to life. My heart goes out to the families. May the one survivor pull through.

Okay, here is yet again another example of the typical Republican Punishment Platform: ratcheting up credit card minimums. They’re trying to spin it saying this will get consumers out of debt more quickly. Yeah, now people have to forego food in order to pay off credit cards. If they were truly concerned with that part of the equation, they would freeze interest rates at 9% for five years, and that way people COULD get out of debt. As usual, they are trying to put a marketing spin on screwing consumers even farther up the ass and telling us it’s for our own good. In addition to ignoring the fact that most credit card debt at this point is NOT from impulse shopping, but from medical bills and groceries because they themselves have cut all the services.

The ride to and from the city was dreadful yesterday. I’m so sick of the other commuters.

Going in, a woman wearing a lavender faux fur jacket tried to shove me out of the way to elbow herself onto the train (there were only three people trying to get into the almost-empty car). Need I say that was a really dumb thing to do on her part? Then, she spends the train ride talking loudly into her cell phone about all the allergy shots she needs. I’m sure at least seven people wanted to offer her peanuts.

The man behind me snapped his newspaper on my head repeatedly until I turned around and said, “Look, you have an entire three seater to yourself. Next time you hit me in the head with the newspaper, I hit YOU on the head with my book? Got it?”

On top of that, a guy a few seats away tried to pick up a woman sporting an Australian accent. He kept telling her about all the new techno toys he just bought, but his face and his body language indicated how much he wanted to get her into bed. Meanwhile, the calculations floating across her face showed how she tried to figure out if his net worth made sex with him worth it for her.

Riding back (on the 4:49 no less), the train was simply filled with drunken office men who’d probably begun imbibing at lunch and obviously hadn’t stopped all afternoon. You want to drink, that’s fine. But don’t be a sloppy, rude drunk all over me on the train, because you’ll be puking up a few teeth along with those beers.

Day work was fine, although it was difficult to be away from Clear the Slot. I hated not being anywhere that allowed me to work on it.

The good thing is that the Fantasy Epic began to flow. I’ve written close to 2250 words by now. Most of the piece has unfolded for me, and I jotted down a few pages of notes as well so I don’t forget. If I can write 1000 words a day for the next few days, I should hit 9K fairly soon (which is how long I think it’s going to be) and then I can start typing and rewriting. I’d like to get three drafts, preferably four done before I have to send it off. The first draft will be a bit skeletal, and I’ll add more sensory details in the second and then cut, cut, cut, cut what’s unnecessary. I’m playing with some theories and archetypes and it leads me to interesting places. I’m also playing with a few titles. I hit patches where I’m completely swept up in the story, and I like that.

So the day wasn’t completely lost creatively.

I think I’m going to call it “Ris An Abrar”, which, according to the trio of sources I checked, is Gaelic for “Called.”

Surfed the job boards – so many of the calls for writers are downright insulting. Batches of 10 articles at 750 words per article at $10 each? And the “privilege” of publication? For Business Writing? Honey, the work you want done for your site requires both a high level of skill AND a lot of research. $10 MIGHT get the computer turned on. Or I MIGHT occasionally do something like that to help out a friend. But not a stranger and certainly not when the ad has such a condescending attitude towards writers.

Next.

Speaking of writing, I’ll have a blog entry up on the Scruffy Dog Review blog site later today. I’ve got a trio of ideas, and I’m not sure which one I’ll post yet.

The Situation gets worse and worse, and will get even more so over the next few months. That just sucks the energy right out of one, leaving little except anxiety, depression and a huge reservoir of anger. Anger can be a wonderful catalyst, but if it’s not used properly, it’s as dangerous as a dropped match in a stack of hay.

Devon
Circadian Poems
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project

The Scruffy Dog Review


Shallid – 74,525 words (goal 90,000)

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
74 / 90
(82.2%)


“Ris An Abrar” – 2250 words (goal 9,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2 / 9
(22.2%)

3 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger SianNorah said...

Well... I've started to revise. I just can't put the damn thing down. Meanwhile, love the bus stories.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Lyn Cash said...

You have been BUSY! I know the train rides were awful, but your descriptions were kewl. *wink*

Hang in there.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Ann said...

You're right on the credit card business - I've read (and from what I've seen) many bankruptcies and credit problems - especially among the elderly - are due to medical bills and other such situations.
And what a story about the subway ride - hilarious. I was totally cracking up at the descriptions. You ought to work this into a story or book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home