Saturday, February 11, 2006

Saturday, February 11, 2006
Day before Full Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Cloudy and cold

The amount of snow we’re scheduled to get rises each time the weatherfolk dance across the screen. We’ll see.

Just in case, I got extra candles, wine, and 9 volt batteries for the transistor radio. Gal’s gotta be prepared.

I was mostly a waste of food yesterday, doing internet searches in relation to The Situation, talking to others involved about it, etc., etc.

I managed to rough out the bachelor party monologue, and will do some more work on it today. I pitched for three other interesting projects – all three of which sound like a ton of fun and something to which I’d be well suited.

The press needs to lay off Wayne Gretzky. It is not illegal to place a bet. It is not illegal for one’s wife to place a bet. If I had $75,000 to bet on the Super Bowl – well, you know, I’d bet it on the Kentucky Derby or whatever. My rule is: don’t bet what you can’t afford to lose. If she chooses to bet rather than buy shoes, or if she can afford to be and buy the shoes, good for her. And if Gretzky was recorded asking someone how to protect his wife – he’s merely being a loyal husband. For the Daily News to headline him on the front page – especially when there is so much real news happening in the world – is both mean and irresponsible. And then, of course, in the very last line of the article, in the tiniest print possible, the writer admits that nothing mentioned above was illegal. Disgusting.

Watched the opening ceremonies for the Olympics last night – a favorite event since I was a little girl. I’m writing an article about it for FemmeFan. Not to give away too much, but for the first eighteen minutes, at 8 PM EST, I thought I was watching a car commercial. With the serious intonation and snowcapped mountains and all. Then I realized they were wasting time re-broadcasting news in a different package that they’d already run, wasting time to lead up to the actual ceremony. Just start at 9 already then, okay? And why did the athletes march in by country to . . .disco? Even though Bob Costas and Brian Williams kept referring to the music as “80’s pop tunes” – um, “Burn Baby Burn” is from the 70s. My dating life started at that time, I was there, and I know.

Lots to do today – work on the monologue, get out a press release for a client, do a couple of pieces for FemmeFan. And I’d like to watch the Canadian women’s hockey team play this afternoon.

Hopefully, the power won’t go out in what is now being called a blizzard.

Devon

2 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Hope your power stays on! I think I would have serious ISSUES if I couldn't watch the Olympics!!!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Lowa said...

Oppps...I forgot about the Olympics! WOW!

I better go turn the TV on!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home