Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Tuesday, February 7, 2006
Waxing Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Cloudy and cold


Quick! Help a greyhound! Visit this blog:

http://thedogsbreakfast.blogspot.com/

and leave a comment. Money will be donated for each comment to help Greyhound rescue. As you know, it’s a breed I adore, and as soon as I own a house, I plan to adopt a pair of cat-friendly, ex-racer greyhounds and spoil them for years!

This comment-a-thon ends tonight, so the sooner, you hop over, the more dogs you can help!

Thanks to Lorianne of Hoarded Ordinaries (http://www.hoardedordinaries.com/) for the link.

Actually, I have lots for which to thank Lorianne, whom I “met” via Nano. Um, let’s see, all her wonderful photographs of Keene, NH, and her insight, and getting me involved in the meditation blog, 100 Days (http://days100.blogspot.com/).

So . . .thanks, Lorianne!

Finally, a good writing day yesterday. I worked on The Fix-It Girl, finishing Chapter 28, and Arnie, the male protagonist who’s involved with Mavis, surprised me with something I didn’t expect to be revealed until several chapters further. But he decided that the time was now.

Did some work on Periwinkle, and then had to stop because I have to research a recipe that’s going to be important in the current section. Once again, Charlie Zablowski’s threatening to hijack the book, although I promised him one of his own. He’s a good character. And he’s actually inspired by someone I met a few years ago, but he’s taken on a life of his own, separate from the real man (whose name I never found out).

I adapted two more scenes of Glamorous Hearts, which was fun. Expanding it out isn’t as difficult as I thought. I’ll have to add some characters – such as Harriet’s family, who weren’t at all a part of the radio play, and the servants in her household, and some friends. But I’m still keeping Harriet, William, Martine, and Leonard the focus.

Put in the fixes for Draft 6’s revised chapters 12 & 13 of Clear the Slot, and started typing in Chapter 14 (which was Chapter 19 in the fifth draft). Also made some notes for Book 3 of the series, Back Stop.

Did some work on “Ris An Abrar” (AKA the Fantasy Epic). The problem with writing the piece is I get so caught up in it that I get disoriented when I stop. Unlike many fantasy writers, I don’t sit down and create the world first. I learn the world as I write the first draft – the characters and situations reveal it to me. And then I hone it and fix discrepancies in the revisions. If I try to sit down and plot out the world, commonly called “world-building” first, it becomes stale and uninteresting. More power to the people who CAN sit down and figure it all out ahead of time; but I am not of their number.

This piece is also interesting because it demands an explictness and a graphic density that I rarely expose in the writing. But, it serves the piece and therefore, that’s the way it is. Now I have to go back and read the anthology guidelines, to make sure I haven’t “explicted” myself right out of contention.

If I have, there are markets I can explore; but I’d prefer to send it to the market for which it was created.

And, I have a sinking sensation it’s going to be more than 9000 words. It’s okay, it can get up to 20,000, but I’m looking at deadline factors.

But what a relief to have a good writing day. If I can build a string of them, I’ll be a happy camper. Er, writer. Er . . .

Off to the theatre.

Devon




The Fix-It Girl – 61,970 words (goal 100,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
61 / 100
(61.0%)





Periwinkle - 16,856 (goal 90,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
16 / 90
(17.8%)




Clear the Slot, 6th Draft – 68,069 (goal 100,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68 / 100
(68.0%)

3 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

I can't worldbuild first either. I like to write the story and let the pieces fall into place as I go. :)

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I posted a comment at the doggy site! I think it's wonderful what they're doing.

I've always been sympathetic to the plight of the Greyhound. I remember reading an article in the Spokesman Review on them when I was a teenager (they have that Greyhound Park there) and crying my eyes out. Hopefully this will do some good!

:-)

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Lorianne said...

Thanks for the nod & mention...and sorry to hear in today's post about the split with your SO. Relationships are difficult: there's so much shared karma. It sounds like you both realize what's necessary for now...and the future will somehow take care of itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home