Monday, March 13, 2006

Monday, March 13, 2006
Day before the full moon
Saturn Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Jupiter Retrograde
Warm and rainy


Many thanks for all the warm and wonderful birthday wishes for my big day on the 11th. I have to say that this is the first birthday in a long time where I didn’t have the notorious “Birthday Blues”. Perhaps it’s because the past few weeks have been so difficult, but I feel optimistic about the future, and not at all upset about what I didn’t get done this past year.

Thursday and Friday were tough – new developments in the situation kind of put us in limbo yet again; however, they also give us hope that The Other Side may be in a worse position than we thought.

On Friday, I did some grocery shopping and had a few meetings. I played around with a few ideas – a series is persistently bothering me. The characters have an awful lot to say, and the series would build very differently than the way series are currently building. It would be middle-grade mystery, something I collect (from the 40s and earlier) and always wanted to write. I’ve been playing with a few different types of stories in this genre; basically, I’m just going to hone as many as I can, throw them out there into the world like spaghetti onto the wall, and see what sticks.

But it has to wait its turn, as much as I love the characters.

The inspiration for the lead came to me in a restaurant. My mom and I went out to lunch at the Town Dock, one of my favorite local restaurants. A few tables down was a kid of about eleven, with a shock of blonde hair, very smart, but not too pleased at the way his mother was pushing him to give a speech about some experience he had and talk positively about it, when the truth was he had had a really bad time and wished he’d never applied to the program. He didn’t want to lie about it. And his grandparents kept pinching his cheeks and talking about how cute he was and how grown up he was getting; he just wanted the floor to swallow him up.

So a character based on that bit of observation is my main character.

Saturday, my actual birthday, was a beautiful day, and we drove to the Cape. Sandwich was our first stop. We get into town and the first building we see is the public library. And a sign for a book sale.

So, we stop. Turns out we were there just before the sale commenced. They hand you a grocery bag. You fill it –f or $3.50. I managed to fit 17 books into my bag – most of them big, heavy hardcovers. I pack well.

What a fabulous way to start the day!

We walked around town a bit, which is lovely. As I pumped gas, I looked up and there was an herb store across the street. I replenished my stock, talked to the woman who owns it, and she gave me her mother’s card. Her mother’s been a realtor in the area for years.

Then, up to Plymouth, to have lunch at my favorite restaurant, Carmen’s Café Nicole, right on the water. Some of the best food you’ll find anywhere.

Plymouth’s new library is enormous. I thought it was a new school when I drove by, but it’s the library.

Visited some of my favorite stores, and bought a silk blouse. Walked around at the water and up and down some of the other small streets. Plymouth feels very much like home to me. It has for years. I love the town, I love the vibe, I love the way the residents are friendly, but also get on with their lives.

To talk about yesterday, I introduce a new feature that will appear sporadically over the next few months:

Ink In My Paint Can

Yes, I am repainting my mother’s apartment, which needs it badly. The people from the building who did it too many years ago not only did a lousy job, but made her (a senior citizen even at the time) move all her heavy stuff herself with no help (I was on the west coast).

So I have permission from the owner to do it, and that’s what I’m doing.

Yesterday, we stripped the kitchen, washed all the teapots, vases, et al that gathered grease on top of the cabinets, took everything off the walls, the cookbooks (mostly mine) out of the shelves, and washed down the walls.

It took six hours.

She’s lived there for 33 years. Things tend to accumulate.

Today, it’s off to Home Depot for paint and supplies. My plan is to spackle the cracks, tape it all and prime the kitchen/dining area.

The apartment is small, but I need to work room-by-room, wall-by-wall, slowly, so as to cause the least amount of disruption, and I figure it will take me, on the short side, six weeks, depending how much theatre and television work I juggle at the same time.

We found some very cool stuff, including a bud vase that is actually three tiny bud vases with their little arms entwined. I soaked it and scrubbed it and found out, to my surprise, that its actual color is white.

It will be on the table to celebrate the Equinox.

And I plan to write as I wait for the coats of paint to dry.

Off to Home Depot!

Devon

5 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I think I would have been able to make TWENTY books fit! :-) I'm so jealous!
I'm glad you had a lovely birthday--and I hope the painting project goes well!

:-)

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Costume Imp said...

As you know, Painting is (one of) my specialty(s). Let me know if you need an extra set of limbs some Monday D. Yes, I'm ignoring my own painting projects, but for the chance to spend the day with you (and meet your mother!) I would gladly take a train. Have fun and enjoy!!!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I'm so happy to read that you enjoyed your birthday, and to hear that you're feeling optimistic.

It's fascinating that your concept of a new character came from the young man you overheard in the restaurant. Muses can appear in so many different places.

And now you're painting your mother's apartment? You are amazing.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Sounds like you had a lovely birthday weekend. :) Happy birthday again!

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Sandy J said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Devon! Same day as my youngest son! Knew there was a reason I liked you!

Uh, when you get through painting at your mom's, can you come visit me????? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home