Monday, March 20, 2006

Monday, March 20, 2006
Waning Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Jupiter Retrograde
Spring Equinox (Ostara)
Cold and snowing!

Here it is, the Spring Equinox, and there are snow flurries! Too funny!

The migraine kept me down yesterday for a good part of the day. I managed to put the cookbooks and some of the other stuff back on the shelves in the kitchen, but, for the most part, I had to take it easy.

I retired for a few hours to bed, with the copy I picked up on the Cape of Natalie Goldberg’s Writing Down the Bones (my copy is in storage). It’s been quite a few years since I read it, and it’s always good to remind oneself a bit.

Also in that big bag of books was a wonderful needlework book – written by Rose Wilder Lane. Isn’t that the daughter of Laura Ingalls Wilder, who wrote the Little House on the Prairie books? And a book about Christmas handcrafts. I love those books. I pick them up on thrift stores whenever possible, because there are always one or two patterns out of the dozens that I actually like.

I picked up one book which I thought would help with the maritime research. It’s called Come Wind or Weather by Claire Francis, and it’s about a sailboat race around the world. She and a team of 11 others were part of a round-the-world sailboat race in the late 1970s. The book is fascinating and well-written. But, to me, it simply doesn’t sound like fun! It’s an enormous accomplishment, but my idea of fun is less likely to kill a person (most of the time). I’ll have to do some research on Francis and see what she’s done in the interim – I’m sure she stayed on the seas, and she’s a good writer. I’d like to read more of her work.

I worked on the notes for the Adele St. Ruchin piece. I tried, really I did, to convince Adele and Max to inhabit the same world, but they won’t. Their stories take place in two very distinct realms from each other. Adele’s is set – well, all over the world, really, but primarily in suburban New York. Max’s world is on Boston’s south shore. Their stories have nothing to do with each other, so they can’t inhabit the same book or books. Darn it. Here I hoped I could mix and match characters, and, this time out, it just won’t happen.

Her piece will be interesting because the structure is so important to the theme. The sections in the present will take up about 60 page chunks at a time; they will compare/contrast to several incidents in the past, which also will take up 60 page chunks (approximately), but will have to read almost as stand-alone novellas within the bigger structure. It’s a different way of working, and I’m excited about it. When I’ll actually get to do it is something else, but making the detailed notes helps.

I met with my friend J. about our newsletter articles last night – I need to knock out my two today, along with the SDR blog, work on my column, and run some errands. Hopefully, I can get some creative work done as well.

Over the course of the week, I’m going to slowly move things from the North wall in my mother’s living room, so that, by Friday, I can spackle and prime it, and, on Saturday, do my painting/color coats. Sunday, I can move stuff back, and Monday, start moving stuff from the next wall. And so it goes. A looong process, no doubt. But it will all be worth it, in the end.

I need to get my hair cut this week, too. It’s a mess!

Ordered Paris: Biography of a City from Strand. I love Strand Books, and plan to continue doing business with them no matter where I land. They’re too important to my creative and research life.

One of these days, I have to sit down and do my taxes. I have my receipts – I just need to sit down and figure everything out.

Devon

2 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Glad you feel better--sounds like you have some writing to do!

And yes, Rose Wilder Lane was Laura Ingalls Wilder's only daughter--I was obsessed with LIW's books when I was little!

:-)

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Hi Devon...glad to hear your migraine is gone. Your weblog is a source of inspiration. I hope the source of your migraines is soon a part of the past...

Lori

 

Post a Comment

<< Home