Monday, March 06, 2006

Monday, March 6, 2006
Waxing Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Jupiter Retrograde
Sunny and cold

Not much writing done yesterday. Everything was fragmented and I couldn’t hit the creative voice I need for the fiction.

However, today, some characters are starting to talk, and I plan to make this a short entry so that I can try to get some creative work done. The characters speaking are from pieces that have been in a holding pattern – my hope is that if I can converse with them for a bit, then I can slide back into my other work, the work that’s now a month behind.

My column, “The Literary Athlete” is in the new issue of The Scruffy Dog Review with “Showing Up is Half the Battle”:

http://www.thescruffydogreview.com/wst_page9.html

and it’s about time I take some of my own advice.

In the same issue, as Christy Miller, I have the conclusion of “The Purchase” called “Love and Letters”:

http://www.thescruffydogreview.com/uploads/The%20Purchase%20March.mht

I struggled with the rewrite on it, and am still not entirely happy with it. Toby and Clea are two of my favorite characters and two of my readers’ favorite characters, and I just feel that, with everything I’ve had to handle lately, I didn’t do them justice.

Times like this are when I’m grateful to have an editor as solid as BK Birch – if she believes it’s on the right track, my own insecurities about it are just that – my own “stuff”. I feel very fortunate to have Birch as one of my editors, and I’m sure I don’t express it often enough! Because of the crisis of the past months, I simply lost my objectivity, especially when it comes to my own work.

Hopefully, after tomorrow’s conflict, we’ll have more information and maybe, just maybe I can start wrestling some of my own life back. And it is wrestling, because the majority of people with whom I’ve banded together to deal with The Situation (because they, too, are affected), work regular jobs. They have no clue as to what I do. And they don’t grasp in the actual (even if they do in the intellectual) that I am here to support and protect my mother in The Situation and once it’s settled, I go back to my own life.

After tomorrow, either we will have a short respite or things will get much worse much more quickly.

So, I will grasp today and fill it with as much creativity as possible. I need it to renew me, so that, whatever tomorrow brings, I’m ready for it. It reminds me of the tarot card, the Nine of Wands – a battle well-fought, but braced for more.

Devon
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems
The Scruffy Dog Review

4 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Lara said...

You sound much better today. And it's good to hear that you're writing again!
{{big hug}}

:-)

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Even under the worry of the Situation, it's good that you're managing to get back into the flow of your work. d:)(Coffee cup salute!)

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Aelee said...

Keep at it ..the best of luck to you in your creative writing pursuits..it's hard..but your talent shall shine.Good luck to you always.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I tried to read "The Literary Athlete", and when I pulled up the link all I saw was code. I'll try the link again. :)

Well fought, but braced for more - you paint a mental picture of Lord Aragorn. You continue to fight the good fight for your mother, and because you do, you're certainly blessed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home