Sunday, March 19, 2006

Sunday, March 19, 2006
Waning Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Jupiter Retrograde
Cloudy and cold

I am so tired I can barely sit upright, and I have a massive migraine.

It’s been quite a week – one day at the theatre and three long days on the television show. On Thursday, we had 65 background and they were the dumbest group of individuals with whom I’ve ever had to deal. Plus, we were block shooting – which means every scene is done from one camera position, then you move the camera and shoot all the scenes from the next position – so we had to keep flipping people in and out of clothes and try to match shots – with people too stupid to get into a complete costume they were previously in. Don’t argue with me when I’m standing in front of you with the photo. That’s why we take photos.

Friday was much better – fewer of them, and smarter ones – and we shot in a really nice restaurant in the early afternoon. But Thursday was an absolute nightmare.

And Wednesday, we had a woman who kept sneaking jewelry onto her costume – although she was specifically forbidden to wear it by me, the designer, and the supervisor – so we had a PA take it away from her and give it back at the end of the day. She’s BACKGROUND, for crying out loud, she’s not supposed to show up. And the jewelry was flashing and causing camera problems.

This week, I’m booked one day in the theatre and two on the television show.

What people don’t understand – and what is, frankly, getting on my last nerve – is that when you’re working in television, you don’t get to check your email or make phone calls or whatever. You’re working damn 16+ hours a day, plus for me, there’s a two hour commute, which means I’m out of touch for 20 hours. And you know what? I’m going to sleep during those four hours I’m home.

It’s not like damn office jobs, where you can run your personal life while you’re being paid by the company. I’m paid to be on the ball and pay attention for all those hours except the lunch break and the commute. If I screw up, it costs the production company $30,000 and I’m gone – permanently. There is no room for error. And I’m usually trying to write on my breaks, or deal with whatever crises has come up during the day.

So, when I tell someone, “No, I can’t do such-and-such, read such-and-such this week”, it doesn’t meant I can fit it in during work hours. It means I can’t do it. Period.

Frankly, by the time I get back on the train to get home, I’m so tired my eyes can’t focus and I can’t read on the train.

Working in entertainment takes EVERYTHING. It’s not like other jobs, where you can use half a brain and half your energy. If you don’t put 200% in, you don’t get hired again.

And, while I’m in the process of transitioning out, I’m still, for the moment, in it.

Most of my writing friends get it at this point (since they’re involved in a constant juggling act), but the non-writing, non-entertainment people I know are just driving me nuts.

And, frankly, once I do have a few minutes to myself, my own writing is going to come before ANYTHING I do for anyone outside my immediate family. Period. End of story. Yes, I’m a selfish bitch. But my writing is THE most important thing, and everyone else can go jump off a bridge.

Can you tell I’ve had a stressful week?

I have managed to get some writing done – dribs and drabs, here and there. Some characters are talking to me incessantly, so I’m taking plenty of notes, and then going back to what needs to be worked on (Clear the Slot, Fix-it Girl, Periwinkle, Angel Hunt) -- the list goes on and on.

I have to get to Staples this week, because I’m out of paper. And I just ordered more ink and another compact flashcard online for my camera. I’m doing before-and-after photos of the painting.

Ink in My Paint Can

The kitchen and dining area are, finally, done. I didn’t have a chance to do the trim and the built-ins until yesterday, and it took all day. They’re done in a colour called “Snowy Egret”, which flows very well into the Clear Moon.

It was very exciting on Tuesday night, night of the full moon, to go outside, look up at the sky and see that the moon was the exact colour of the paint. Or, I should say, the paint was the exact colour of the moon! My mom’s very happy with it.

We’re starting to move stuff back in. One corner of the dining area is going to house all the paint for the process, and some of the stuff that was up on the walls, we think we’re going to pack away for the moment.

I can’t even start on the living room until the kitchen is put back together. There’s no room to store anything while I’m working, so the rest of the place has to be done wall-by-wall.

Move everything out. Spackle, prime, paint, do the trim. Make sure it’s COMPLETELY dry. Move it back. Move everything away from the next wall and do the whole thing again.

Slow going.

I definitely won’t win awards for the work, but it’s much better than the previous painters’ work. And the “design element” I created to cover the mistake I made on the ceiling works (phew).

I actually enjoy it. I just wish I had more time and more room in which to work.

Somehow, it will all get done.

Now, if I can only get this migraine under control, I might be able to be slightly productive today. I have two articles to write for a tenants’ organization newsletter, three other pieces on deadline, and I have to write the SDR blog piece for Wed., because I’ll have an early call and there’s no way I can write it either Tues. or Wed.

A thought that was actually semi-interesting floated through my brain, but I lost it before I could write it down. Oh, well.

I may plan ahead and try to attend the Maui Writers’ Conference in 2007. I know I can’t go this September – things are still to tentative on the home front. But, it will give me something to look forward to next year, and I’ll take off a few extra days to explore Hawaii. I’ve never been to Hawaii, and I’d like to go.

Now, to try to get this migraine under control . . .

Devon

2 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger B. K. Birch said...

Stick to your guns and feel better soon!

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Hope that nasty migraine takes a hike!

I think it's a common misconception among "non entertainment" folk--that the entertainment industry keeps regular hours--well, Hollywood never sleeps, you know? (Yes, of course you do!)

ps--how long does Mercury Retrograde last?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home