Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Tuesday, March 7, 2006
Waxing Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Jupiter Retrograde
Sunny and cold

The rumor is that what we braced for today regarding The Situation has been postponed for three weeks. I don’t know if I trust said rumor, but it’s out there. While, on the one hand, it prolongs the uncertainty yet again, it also gives us time to find out new information that will be quite helpful.

Yesterday, I managed to work on Clear the Slot. I’ve almost got the revised Chapter 14 done (it used to be Chapter 19 and a bit of Chapter 20). These last six chapters from the fifth draft are tough because so much has to be rewritten and reconstructed. But it was good to spend time with these characters again. If I could slip into any of my own fictional worlds, I think that the world of Clear the Slot would be my first choice. The different story lines are coming to a head. And, while some of them – and the main plotline – won’t be resolved until the end of Sweep Check (the second book), some of them will be resolved in the next chapters.

And then it will be time to perfect the outline/synopsis, the logline, and the single paragraph description, so that it can be queried.

I had an idea for two more stories. One I managed to outline; the other, I have the protagonist and the first line of the piece. I’m not yet sure where it will lead – it hints at a bit of noir, but that simply could be the opening.

I did some research on the Orkney Islands and their Selkie legends for a piece that’s been kicking around in my head for a few months. I have a potential publisher in mind – if I can get a few thousand words down and a solid outline, I can pitch it to this publisher and possibly get an advance.

Other good news – I finally cracked Espresso Fiction! I’ve been trying to get something accepted by them for nearly two years. And now, there’s “Time and Place” (under the Christy Miller name). They will publish it on April 11 – which means the Devon Ellington website with the Christy Miller page needs to be done by then. So I better get to work. I have to fill out their interview page. It’s a paying market, so that’s also a good thing.

If I can keep a cool head about me and keep working – don’t lose the creative voice because the logical voice has to so often speak – I think I can get things back in balance. I have to make a lot of plans, make them quickly, and keep them, for the moment, a bit close to the vest, but I’m starting to feel a glimmer of hope in everything.

In the next few days, I need to restock on paper, ink, et al – my supplies are running low, and that always makes me nervous.

I’m chasing an idea for tomorrow’s SDR blog. I had an idea. It raced away. I think I see it in the distance. I’m trying to catch up with it.

I’m at the theatre today, but should be home at a reasonable hour, and then, perhaps, I can get some writing done. No perhaps about it. I will get some writing done.

Devon
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems
The Scruffy Dog Review

6 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger Colin said...

Yer starting to sound a little like yer old self (old - as in young, but badly missed) again, and it's great tae see!

Congrats on Espresso!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I LOVE that you are writing again! Sounds like the old you! I am so happy that you're feeling better--and congrats on Espresso--that is really wonderful news.

Hope you have a good (and productive) day! :-)

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Diana said...

Congrats on the Espresso thing! How cool to persist for so long and then break through.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I'm very glad to hear that you have some extra time for research in your situation, and even happier that you're finding hope again.

Congratulations on being accepted by Espresso Fiction, a sign that good things lie ahead in your writing future. :)

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Congrats on the Espresso Fiction sale! Your talent and persistence paid off--very cool. You sound less stressed, less anxious; hope there's more good things to come. D:))

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Congrats on your Espresso Fiction sale! That is so wonderful. :) Hope you're doing okay and I think of you often.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home