Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Wednesday, March 22, 2006
Waning Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Jupiter Retrograde
Sunny and cold

Day work was fine yesterday. There are some lovely new costumes in the show and some new actors. I spent most of the afternoon, as I ironed and steamed, visualizing what I need to rearrange in my life over the next few months, so it was quite productive. Principal call is great because I’m up on the third floor all by myself and I can hear myself think as I work. Plus, I’m much more productive if I’m left on my own.

The year-abroad European section of Adele’s story made itself known to me over the course of the day, which was interesting. I’m starting to wonder if each of these flashbacks is actually its own book – however, that ruins the overall structure of the book. I need to not worry about word count, but simply be true to this particular story. This book will be a big one – more than 100K. By the time I finish this piece, though, and it’s ready for submission, I ought to have a couple of other novels under my belt and either published or about to be published, so it should allow me the leeway to do a bigger book.

I scanned the pattern magazine for spring/summer. Didn’t see much, except maybe a wrap top similar to DVF’s styles, which could work with quite a few different pieces. I’m expanding my pattern collection for mostly classical, tailored styles that will remain in fashion throughout time, and then adding in one or two trendy pieces a season. I know what looks good on me by this point, which lines are flattering and which to avoid. I’m lucky because the Vogue patterns fit well, with little or no alteration. I’ve lost 15 pounds due to The Situation – any more will be a problem, but this or even up to ten pounds more than my current weight is okay. What I have to do is make sure any additional weight comes back on as muscle. Working in my line, that shouldn’t be too hard, with all the stairs and carrying. I figured I clock in 6-10 miles on a studio day just walking around.

I’m re-reading Writers at Work, Sixth Edition. I love those books, and try to hunt them down in second hand stores whenever I can. One of the quotes in Bernard Malamud’s interview is particularly telling – he advises to “make time” to write rather than “steal time”. That hit home, because, over the past few weeks, I’ve been stealing time in and around The Situation.

So I need to make time, even if I’m tired, and it’s only a half hour or so late at night. I prefer to write in the morning, when I’m fresh; but, let’s face it, if I have to be up at 4 to catch a 5 AM train, I’m not going to get up at 3 to write – especially if I got home at 11. I’ll write on the train or on my break, and I’ll try to write when I get home – but usually I fall back into bed to start it all up again.

At any rate, when I’m this tired, I find it almost impossible to work on the computer, so the projects that begin life in longhand are the ones that get the attention. When I’m tired, the screen hurts my eyes.

I wanted to see if I had any capacity for creativity left last night. I sat down, meaning to write a page of Adele’s story, just to see. I ended up writing three. Her tone is much dryer and funnier than I expected – a bit on the brittle side, but not too much. I knew I’d do the story in the first person, but I didn’t expect the tone to be what it’s turned out to be. It’s interesting.

I don’t want to start yet something else – I have too many unfinished projects hanging over me, draining me – but it was an interesting exercise, and I’m writing in a voice that’s utterly new and completely true to the character. I like it.

Off to revise and post the SDR blog and then work on the articles due Friday. I have to leave for set at 10 AM – which means I probably won’t be back until at least 11 or 12 tonight.

I’m slowly moving stuff from the North wall, so it will be ready to prime on Friday. I was so out of it yesterday that I left for the train an entire hour early. When I realized it, I came home, measured, refigured a few furniture configurations for after the paint job, wrote everything down, moved a bunch of stuff, and then went back to the train.

Might as well make use of the time, right?

Devon

4 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger Lori said...

I don't know how you do it, Devon. You manage to work your tail off and then come home and do more? Amazing.

I like DVF's fashions, too. She's very classic and gorgeous. I'm a fan of a particular See by Chloe dress at the moment, but even with the additional work I'm getting in, $400 seems a bit steep!

Hang in there, toots. The Situation will work itself out somehow. I've no doubt you are equipped with the moxie and the connections to land on your feet no matter what occurs.

Peace. :)

Lori

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I have unfinished stories all around me too--it makes me CRAZY. But you are amazing. The ultimate multi-tasker. I have to focus on one thing at a time!

Hope you get some sleep!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Lyn Cash said...

You put me to shame as far as energy, woman. I've been moving this week - now that I've checked your site and see all those retrogrades, something tells me this may not have been the ideal time - ROFL.

Have a good weekend, Devon.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Sandy J said...

All this energy will pay off, Devon! Hang in there! I admire you for what all you can do. And I like that 'make time' not 'steal time'. There just isn't any more time in my day to steal, LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home