Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sunday, April 02, 2006
Waxing Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Jupiter Retrograde
Sunny and Pleasant


Happy Second Birthday to Ink in My Coffee!

Yes, as of today, this blog is two years old. I sat there, looking at the dates, because it feels as though I’ve been writing the blog for much longer. Perhaps that’s because I’ve kept a diary since I was ten – and that’s QUITE a few years ago!

I haven’t blogged for the past few days because I have nothing interesting to say, especially in the world of writing. The Situation continues to worsen.

The question that torments people and drives literature is: How do you fight Evil without becoming what you fight? That’s true for me in The Situation – how do I (and the people in this with me) overcome someone who is truly evil – who delights in causing pain and suffering – without becoming just as disgusting as he is?

Eventually, all of this will transform into some (hopefully) damn good fiction, but living it is a bitch.

Most of the week’s been taken up with

Ink in My Paint Can

The living room is done, many things are put back, the bookcases are up – and full. Two bookcases stretching 72 inches high, completely filled. And there are still stacks of books all over the floor. And, remember, I have 100 boxes of books still in storage. And I USE the books – they don’t just sit there gathering dust (though some of them were pretty dusty).

In my house hunting, I need to find a place with a room with floors sturdy enough so I can have an English-country-house-style library with large floor-to-ceiling bookcases. That’s the only way I’ll be able to get everything out and have access to it.

And it needs to happen sooner rather than later.

There’s still a lot of stuff sitting in boxes waiting to go back up on walls or get packed away for now. Stuff is being rearranged, and while every piece of “stuff” has a story behind it, some of it needs a rest.

Yesterday, all I managed to get done was three of the four walls of the front hallway. Today, I’m going to do the fourth wall (which means taking down a full wall of – yes, books), taping, spackling, priming, two coats of colour and trim. And then, hopefully, I can also do the tiny vestibule in front of the bathroom. It’s small, but it’s a mess and needs a lot of detailed attention. Also, the vestibule has four doorways and three doors. Each has differently detailed molding – all of which adds to the vintage charm of the place, but makes it slow going paint-wise. I have to use the right brush, the right brush-stroke, the right paint – etc. I enjoy it, but, because I’m in a time and money crunch on the project, there are times when I get frantic.

I can either work fast or work well. I’d rather do the work well, so that it looks good and holds for a bit. However, there are also some short-cuts I’ve taken, simply because I lack the resources to do things absolutely perfectly. And, because I have to work wall-by-wall instead of being able to work in a fully empty room, it’s a lot of moving and removing and then moving everything yet again, which wastes a ton of time.

Writing wise, I’m “writing in my head” a good deal on Hearth Phoenix and Adele’s story. Unfortunately, I’m in so much pain by the end of the day from the physical work that I literally can’t hold a pen and even typing on the computer is exceptionally painful. At the end of the day, I’m lucky to be able to type a sentence. And not being able to complete the physical act of writing adds to the overall depression and despair.

Acupuncture on Friday helped, but really, the only way to heal is to rest and I don’t have that option right now. Physical and emotional exhaustion aren’t helping, either.

But, the painting is a little bit over half way done. The most difficult room is still ahead, but I need to rejoice in the work that’s done and simply move slowly and methodically.

As the Situation worsens, we simply have to hold the line and not cave. The people involved in the Other Side of it have intent to harm, and that’s what I find unconscionable. The challenge is to defeat them without becoming them, and I’m not certain we can win and do so. And losing, in this case, is fatal.

Devon

2 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

Devon,

Congratulations on the second anniversary of your blog! I would like to take the opportunity, once again, to express my gratitude for your blog, and your presence in my life.

I would like to share a passage from "The Fellowship of the Ring" with you today:

"This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong. Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

J.R.R. Tolkien

(((Hugs)))

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Devon, congrats on Ink's 2nd anniversary. I've so enjoyed reading your blog for the past two years and am happy I discovered it. It's helped me with my writing and helped me clarify my goals too. Live long and prosper. Happy writing...d:))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home