Thursday, April 06, 2006

Thursday, April 6, 2006
Waxing Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Jupiter Retrograde
Sunny and cool

The Situation continues to twist, and to twist us. We thought we’d gained some breathing space until early June; my gut instinct is that things will get much, much worse tomorrow.

I managed to write two pages on Regan Kincaid yesterday. The opening scene reveals, actively, the dynamic of the family at the center of the piece. I think one learns as much from what the characters choose not to say as from what they actually do say. I’m getting ready to transition to the next scene, which is just between the three kids, and sets up the major plot road. It’s an interesting change to work, consciously, from plot and theme along with (rather than instead of) character so early in the piece.

I finished Anna Quindlen’s Imagining London. It made me laugh and think and say, “that’s how I felt when I went there” and gave me inspiration to read some of the books she mentions I have yet to read.

However, Scotland is my paradise, and I may well write a book someday entitled just that!

I’m also reading Sue Bender’s Attitudes of Gratitude, because I want to get back to the positive emotions. The Situation feeds, feeds from, and encourages negativity. I’m literally afraid to have a really good day because, each time that’s happened in the past few months, the most Evil of those on the Other Side has come up with yet a new way to inflict pain and suffering.

Well, there’s got to be a better way to fight it than either becoming it or simply standing there and reacting. And I’m going to find it.

Believe me, “evil” is not a term I use lightly. I think it’s a word in the language which has, in recent years, suffered from overuse, and therefore lost much of its impact. But, the point person against us in The Situation epitomizes evil in the true, old-fashioned sense.

The book is interesting, although at times I find it a bit vague and peppy. I want nuts-and-bolts actions, not vague notions. I want tangibles.

Ink in My Paint Can

I spackled, primed, and put two coats of color on the vestibule. Today’s project is the trim – which, considering how much molding and how many doors are involved, will likely take the rest of the day.

Tomorrow, I’m on set for a long day (I’m expecting 16+ hours), so the bathroom will have to wait until Saturday/Sunday. And I’m hoping, hoping that maybe I can spackle the North wall in the bedroom on Monday. I expect the bedroom will take about three weeks to complete, with all the moving, removing, etc. to do.

The rest of the place is coming together nicely, though there’s still a bunch of “stuff” that’s in limbo until we finish. Then we’ll decide what we want where, and what needs to be packed away, for the moment.

While the work is far from perfect, the general atmosphere is much lighter and clearer. The colors work well, and the rearranging of the “stuff’ is good.

Also, some of the books are better sorted – so I can find things and maybe won’t buy extra copies so often because I think something’s in storage when it’s really only fallen behind the sofa.

Off to be the Snowy Egret Queen of Trim.

Devon

2 Comments:

At 12:58 AM, Blogger Adrian Swift said...

Hi, Devon! Best wishes with all your many endeavors. Just wanted to let you know I finally updated my blog site, and have finished editing those nasty chapters which have tied me up the past 6 weeks. Back to making progress on my novel, THE REFLECTING STONE. I appreciated your words of encouragement. You can check out my new blog at:

www.adrianswift.blogspot.com

That is my main blog site, with a link to the blog for chronicling the novel.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. Best wishes with your many endeavors!

Adrian

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger A.M.Adams said...

Thank you for the encouragement, Devon, on my work on autism.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home