Friday, May 12, 2006

May 12 Part II

I keep forgetting to mention things.

I keep forgetting to mention how lovely the Italian Tourist Bureau was, the other day, giving me street maps of Venice, Florence, and Rome, and the information I need for those sections of the book. And the Czech Tourist Bureau has been lovely, too, sending me links to photo galleries, and sending me via mail the information. I wish I could get to Prague for that section of the book and do on-site research, but until the Situation is resolved, I’m not going very far.

I am, however, contacting actors I know who may have shot there to see what they can tell me, or if they can put me in touch with friends of theirs who shot there. It’s the atmospheric details that make the difference.

I’m reading a lovely book I picked up in a second hand bookshop in the UK a few years ago called England: My Adventure by Ethel Mannin. It was published in 1972, and, at that time, she’d been a writer for 50 years and the entire frontspiece has a list of several dozen books by her, all in small type to fit them on the page.

I feel very uneducated. I’d never heard of her before.

I ordered my friend Chaz Brenchley’s newest book, Bridge of Dreams, which is only published in the US, not the UK. I can’t wait to read it. I love his writing.

I’ve forgotten what else I’ve forgotten, but that’ll do for now.


Real – First draft (longhand) – 40,750 words
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
40 / 100
(40.0%)




Which makes me realize my math is totally off. If I expect it to hit 100,000 words, that’s 400 pages, not 300 pages, and I’m not yet half way. :(

300 pages is only 75,000 words, and I don’t think that’s enough.

And there goes my schedule.

But maybe I can compromise and hit 90,000? That would be 360 pages.

And then, of course, especially on a first draft, who gives a damn about page count? Just write the damn book first and then figure out how to tweak it to fit someone else’s specs.

Jeez.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home