Monday, May 08, 2006

Monday, May 08, 2006
Waxing Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Cloudy and pleasant


Today’s Circadian Poem: “Summer Senses” by Cornelia Howe.

Worked hard on Real yesterday, but I’m still behind. Only eight pages. I kept getting interrupted because of escalations in The Situation. But, it’s still eight pages more than I had the day before, so I’ve got to keep going. If you count the figuring-out stuff I had to do, it’s far more than eight pages. I got stuck in logistics, and had to sit down and chart them out in order to write the next bit. They’re on Lindisfarne now, and about to go to Amsterdam.

The editor to whom I sent the pages let me know that there should be a decision as to whether or not we go to contract in about two weeks. Since that’s right before Memorial Day, I assume it will be more like three. I’m going to keep working on Real – I don’t want to lose the momentum – but I’m not turning in any more until I have a decision.

Wrote my Derby wrap-up for FemmeFan, and have a stack of job opportunities that need to be chased in the next couple of days. I wrote something else, too, but I can’t remember what it was.

Submitted “Pauvre Bob”, one of my favorite stories, to the anthology. I’m keeping my fingers crossed it fits in.

Had a completely useless conversation with “the coast” – someone who wanted me to write a script from outline – no problem. Kept throwing out names about interested celebrities. Of course, I’d worked with one of them before and had called up the guy and asked him about the project – he’d never even heard of these producers, much less agreed to do the project. Typical LA. And, they wanted me to work on spec. No. This is my business, not my hobby. I’m not just out of film school, looking for my first break. You love my work so much? So much that I won’t even get a screen credit at the end of the day? This is how much it costs. Get the first payment and a contract on my desk and we have something to talk about. Other than that, sayonara baby. If you’re that serious, start coughing up the cash.

And then, what do I do? Work on pro bono project. Difference is – the former can afford to pay me and chooses not to; the latter can’t, but always tries to do something to let me know that my work is appreciated.

Another long meeting about The Situation. Things are only going to get worse over the next few months. Not looking forward to it.

Off to spend the morning at the law library, doing some research. Then, it’s back to Real, trying to catch up on my goal, and working on the writing exercise for Wednesday.

Devon

2 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger Lori said...

LOL! Love the description of "the coast" conversation. Typical in this business for someone to assume you'll write it for nothing because hey, you're "ONLY" a writer! What a crock, eh?

Hope you're holding up under the situation. Sorry to hear it's still dragging on.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Good going on "Real". And a "way to go" cheer for "the coast" conversation. I'm with Lori on that. So much bs in Hollywood's air, there's no room for the smog. d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home