Saturday, May 27, 2006

Saturday, May 27, 2006
New Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Cloudy and humid

Could it be that the article in the local paper was The Other Side’s only volley for the weekend? I finally started to relax around 6 PM last night, and, once the adrenalin washed away, was asleep by 9. Pretty pathetic, but it was the first good night’s sleep I’ve had since March 1.

Yesterday was a pretty good day for Real. I didn’t do as much work on the suicide scene in Florence. Right now, my interest is in the main characters’ reaction to the suicide, rather than the actual suicide. I’m going to keep it to a few graphic, textural details sprinkled in, but the psychological impact on the characters with whom the reader makes this journey is what’s important – and why the incident is in the book.

I did about 10 new pages, and now they’re in Venice.

Another happy note: one of my Llewellyn editors emailed me to ask me for pitches for one of the 2008 annuals. I’m going to work on pitches for all of them this weekend and have them waiting on my editors’ desks first thing on Tuesday; I have an idea to pitch to another very high-profile magazine that would not only be a good writing credit, but would have a positive impact on a lot of people’s lives; and, I’ve been asked to submit to a ghost story anthology. I have two weeks to create a ghost story set on the Mogollan Rim area of Arizona, up to 7500 words. I’m figuring it will be around 3000. And I’m off today to research Arizona. I have an idea for the main characters and the situation. Hopefully, I can pull it off.

So I’ve got to balance all that with steady work on Real. Although I can’t finish the book this weekend, it’ll be in pretty good shape. I can’t dither about losing 6 days (and approximately 120 pages’ worth of work). I have to move forward, not replay the same old problems and get stuck in them.

I’m hoping for a quiet and productive weekend, before the hell starts up again next week.

Also, repotted some plants this morning, and planted some morning glories and moonflowers. Hope they come up.

I need a few days of peace and rejuvenation. It’s awful – being afraid to enjoy a few hours for fear something worse waits around the corner.

Devon

2 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Real sounds great! I'm getting interested in the story, and I'm only hearing about it here.
And best of luck for a resolution (a good one) to the Situation - and take care of yourself while it is going on.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Sandy J said...

You just can't live with fear. It sucks the life and creativity right out of you.

Here's fingers crossed that you have a holiday that rejuvenates and inspires you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home