Sunday, May 07, 2006

Sunday, May 7, 2006
Waxing Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Sunny and cool


Barbaro won the Kentucky Derby by six and a half lengths! What a fantastic race! I was delighted with him, every time I got a look at him. He was completely calm and focused – and then, once he won, he played the crowd for all it was worth. Not only is he a talented horse, he is a smart horse. I hope he’s come out of the race well and will go for the next two legs of the Triple Crown.

I’ll do my wrap up article today, so I don’t want to give too much away, but I have quite a few opinions on the race!

The whole day was interesting. I actually bet very little. I hadn’t done my homework. But I just enjoyed beautiful, stunning athletes doing their thing.

Today needs to be all about writing. I’m far, far behind where I wanted to be on Real, and I need to catch up as much as possible. I also want to do the writing exercise due on Wednesday – most of the column is done, but I have to do the writing exercise. If I’m going to present the exercises, I have to be prepared to do them. Without excuses.

I really need a break. From everything except my own work. I find myself getting absolutely enraged out of all proportion by what I see as others’ lack of commitment or excuses for not working for/and or attaining what they claim to want out of their lives. And you know what? It’s none of my damn business. I have plenty to work on in my own life, especially in regard to making sure I win in The Situation, and that my own writing gets back on the track I want. If others fall by the wayside, it’s their loss, not mine. We all have the same amount of time in a day. It’s how we choose to use that time that differentiates us.

I’ve been invited to contribute to a new anthology. It sounds like tons of fun. I have to decide if I’m going to revise something I already have, or if I’m going to send something new. Part of that, I’m sure, will be determined by deadline pressures, and what other work comes up.

Since the television show is getting ready to wrap for the season (and maybe for good), I have to hustle for other work.

But I’m still annoyed that the (theatre) show called me yesterday, far too close to call time for me to be able to get there, asking me to come in and run a show – when I very specifically already told them I was out of town working yesterday (yes, covering the Derby is work, even though it’s fun). I’ve had the conversation ad nauseum with them for over two years now, making it clear how long it takes me to commute in, and that, in a last minute emergency, they have to call someone who’s already in the city. Plus, if I’m already committed to some other gig (especially when the work at this one is so sporadic), I will NOT drop it and come running to them. He who pays me the most and books me first gets my commitment. Period. I was regularly screwed out of income for the first year and a half due to a misplaced sense of loyalty, and I’m not going to play that game.

I need to get to the bookstore this week for photo books of both Amsterdam and Prague for Real. I haven’t been to Amsterdam since the 1970s, and I’m sure it’s changed. I need to reacquaint myself with its geography. I’ve never been to Prague, and, much as I’d like to drop everything and go there to research that section of Real, I can’t do it within my deadline. So I have to do some damned good research. I’m also going to try to track down colleagues or friends of colleagues who’ve shot there and get a sense of atmosphere from them.

Enough bitching and moaning. Time to get some work done.

Devon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home