Thursday, May 25, 2006

Thursday, May 25, 2006
Waning Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde

Decent writing day yesterday. Not brilliant, but not terrible. Only nine pages forward, but plenty of inserts and fixes. So it’s closer to 15 or 20 pages of new material scattered about. Turned out I didn’t have to fix the Lindisfarne section – the information needed to be planted a bit ahead, in the Portugal section. I just have to put my head down and push hard this weekend, and see how far I can get. I doubt I can finish it – it would mean writing 45 pages per day between now and Monday, and there’s no physical or psychological way I can do that. But I’ll just do the best I can and let it take its shape.

The advice from Terry Brooks on plot and character and Elizabeth George’s advice on landscape are pertinent to the current work.

I don’t agree with Ms. George’s system of character analysis. I can’t stand writing down everything about a character. Yet, you can ask me any question about any part of the character’s life and I can answer it. I do KNOW it, but if I write too much down ahead of time, I find the characters flatten. It’s interior knowledge rather than exterior knowledge.

Writing down bits of plots and scenes helps because then I don’t forget them.

I do understand Brooks’s point: the more work you do upfront (i.e, outlines), the less work you have to do in revision.

Went out with an acquaintance last night to a fascinating café a few towns over for a few drinks, good conversation, and live music.

Got back in time to see the Lost finale. It was very well written and well performed. My favorite character, Desmond, got the bulk of the good stuff in this episode, and it was also fairly well balanced among the other characters. It answered more questions than last year, so left the audience feeling less cheated than it did at the end of last season. It also posed interesting new questions. And I still don’t believe everything, even what is supposedly “answered.”

May I just compliment their wardrobe department? Continuity on that show must be a nightmare, and they do it well. Thank goodness it’s not me trying to match all those sweat stains and blood stains to the photos!

Will I watch next season? Depends. It depends on my work schedule – if I’m back working 8 shows/week or on set of another TV show, obviously, I won’t. If the network jerks around the audience again next season like it did this season, doling out an episode or two at a time, I’ll only watch the first episode and the last of the season.

More escalation in The Situation. However, I hope I don’t have to be up round the clock for the remainder of the weekend.

I have writing to do.

Devon

2 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I can't wait for Season Two to come out!

And may you have a "Situation Free" weekend!

{{Hugs}}

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Have a wonderful l-o-n-g weekend, and happy writing! d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home