Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Waxing Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Cloudy and cooler

Last day of May. And the last day before The Situation will ratchet up yet again. Urgh.

Check out my newest exercise on The Scruffy Dog Review Blog.

I was pathetic yesterday. I didn’t feel too badly when I first got to the city; ran some errands, got to the theatre on time. Did my work, and, as the day went on, felt progressively worse and worse and worse. I practically staggered back to the train and was a mess by the time I actually got on the train. The fetid smells on the platform and lack of ventilation didn’t help, either.

I also had no interest in food, which was a bad sign (I’m like a horse that way). The fever was back up, and I was just miserable. Kept drinking fluids to try to flush as much through the system as possible. Finally broke the fever around 7:30, ate some soup, and watched a documentary on the Piltdown Man Hoax – which feeds right into my treasure hunt story. I’m going to drop in a mention of the hoax in a conversation between Nick and Eliza – the two main characters – that will lock in to something further down the story. And I had an idea about Aunt Agatha’s library – now I wish I could remember it.

A colleague on a writer’s forum gave me some interesting tidbits about Venice and Rome (she’s visited – very helpful). So Real is getting back on track.

I want to spend some time on the writing exercise and the ghost story today (since I only have two weeks to write and revise it, I can’t wait one and half to do the first draft).

And I want to do work on Real.

Six to ten pages per day is a good, steady clip for me. Sometimes, it’s on one project; sometimes it’s spread out over several, depending upon deadlines. But six to ten pages is the comfortable pace. Some days, I can push harder, but the following day, I tend to do fewer.

The more stress I’m under, the more percolation time I need. So, right now, three weeks of doing nothing in Tahiti sounds very good.

At least some of the characters in Real get to go to Tahiti for a few days!

I also saw the season premiere of Rescue Me, which I continue to believe is one of the best shows ever created. They pack more into a single hour than most shows do in an entire season.

Not only is the writing brilliant, so is most of the casting. You can’t mistake any of these actors for anyone else.

One of the disturbing things I’ve noticed, channel surfing the past few days while I’ve been sick, is the plethora of twenty-something young actors, all with sun streaked, spiky haircuts, perhaps a tattoo or two, high cheekbones, etc., who are completely interchangeable. I thought it was the same actor working a lot, and then, reading the credits, I realized they were all different guys. That’s disturbing. I’m sure the material has a lot to do with it, but the lack of individuality in many of these roles is creepy.

I thought I had problems with plot, but watching some of these movies over the past few nights, where they make absolutely no sense and have no coherence, makes me look like a damned plot genius!

The writing won’t get done on its own, so I better get to it.

Devon

1 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger Sandy J said...

Hope you get to feeling better, Devon. My dh came home tonight feeling really bad also. Stress is a lot of it.

Take care and continue drinking those fluids!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home