Friday, June 23, 2006

Friday, June 23, 2006
Dark Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Cloudy, hot, humid

Still have that migraine. Even the Excedrin doesn’t take the edge off.

Frustrating morning yesterday, due to more tangles in The Situation.

The meeting in the City went better than expected, which was good. The meeting was down near Ground Zero – I’m just never going to get over 9/11. I’m learning to live with it, but it can’t be gotten over. The person with whom I was meeting was two doors down from the Towers on that day – it’s something that will always stay with New Yorkers. Yes, it affected everyone in the country; but watching it on television, even with enormous shock and empathy, is different than living it.

The person with whom I met is an admirer of Teddy Roosevelt and his writing; he shared with me something Roosevelt wrote (I had no idea the man wrote newspaper articles on top of everything else). It’s about the patriotic duty of citizens to criticize the President, and how patriotism is shown towards a country, not a person in a job. In this day and age, where Bush claims that anyone who disagrees with him is unpatriotic, I think it’s important to remember that Roosevelt – who was 100 times the President that the current person claiming the job could ever hope to be – believed it was the patriotic duty of citizens to criticize the President.

Did my research for the weekend – it will be a whirlwind.

Now, off to force the characters in Real off Bora Bora. They don’t want to go. Can’t say I blame them.

I also have a stack of correspondence to get through, some more queries to get out, and a few newsletters to complete.

Devon

3 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

Roosevelt was a very intelligent man.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you have time to come back and visit someday.

And BTW - positions are reversed. I love Broadway and am a bit envious of your degree too. I would have loved, though, to go back and get a Masters and PhD in Anthropology - just never had the time. I'm still thinking about it though.

Hope the migraine gets better.

And I hear you about 9/11 - and I agree. None of us who weren't in NYC that day will ever truly understand.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

Thank you for sharing President Roosevelt's thoughts on dissent.

Dissent against George W. Bush appears to be tactically spun into a situation where it represents a potential weakness in the fabric of the U.S. for "the enemy(ies)" to exploit, following with the notion that if you're "helping" the enemy, you "are" the enemy.

A question arises as to the motivation for the censorship by the government, and the notion of punishment for dissent. Could it be that the logic driving these activities is the goal of ending free expression - the same free expression that would be needed to speak out against what one believes is wrong, the same free speech that would be required to remove someone from office?

It's an irony that George Bush is trying to sell to the world on the concept of "democracy", including free speech - both of which have been and are being eroded by the Bush Administration.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

I hope that migrain goes away soon. I think of you often and hope you're doing okay. HUGS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home