Tuesday, June 06, 2006

June 6, 2006
Waxing Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Sunny and Pleasant.

6-6-06.

Instead of quivering on this date, I hope to use its energy against The Evil One, who’s supposed to win in the Situation today. Let’s hope that he doesn’t. It’s about time the Karma Dogs paid him a little visit. So why be afraid when the energy millions of people are projecting on to the day can be useful?

I lost yesterday, writing-wise, completely, due to the Situation, and it pisses me off.

Especially since, today, I’m at the theatre.

On a positive note, I’m doing a query challenge with a friend. We committed to sending out twelve queries during the month of June.

I sent out my first one yesterday morning, and by noon, I was hired. I’ve got an article due August 1, 2500 words. It won’t go to print until next summer, but it’s for one of the annuals. The editor also asked me for pitches for another annual he’s doing. I’ll have those to him by tomorrow.

Later in the day, I saw another job on Craig’s List, located near Boston, but where I can telecommute, that sounds like tons of fun. So I queried. Hopefully, I’ll hear back from them positively, too.

So I did two little tiny writing things. The rest of the writing (and there was plenty of it) was in dealing with The Situation.

I managed to cook pork chops for dinner last night, with a nice, thick sage gravy, so it wasn’t a total loss. I’m finally getting re-interested in food. I’m still congested and my throat hurts, but, if I’m hungry again, it’s a step in the right direction.

Another box of books from Strand arrived: Venice: Lion City by Gary Wills; The City of Florence: Historical Vistas and Personal Sightings by RWB Lewis; and May and Amy: A True Story of Family, Forbidden Love ,and the Secret Lives of May Gaskell, Her Daughter Amy, and Sir Edward Burne-Jones by May’s granddaughter, a cookbook writer named Josceline Dimbleby.

I’ll read the first two for the revisions of Real. I’m already reading the latter, and it is fascinating.

Off to the theatre today. I’m carting Real along (it’s getting more difficult, since the manuscript is now 249 pages), hoping to work on it either on the train or on my break.

I spent far too much time trying to get my PrimoPDF converter to work. I thought I’d try it out – I’m looking at that, NitroPDF and Docudesk, to see what’s going to serve me best as an interim PDF secure converter until I can afford to go all out with the Adobe Creative Suite. I did everything the Primo manual said, and it still won’t save/convert into PDF. It just sits there and stares at me.

When I’m pretty sure I have a few free days, I’ll download the trial version of Nitro, and see if that works. Open Office has a GREAT PDF converter, but no security feature, and, for what I need to do in PDF, I have to be able to lock the file.

I’ll give Primo one more try tomorrow morning; if it doesn’t do what I need it to do, it’s time to Uninstall. I have no time for this crap. It either does what I’ve hired it to do, or it’s gone.

I’m also REALLY sick of Microsoft reshuffling my files whenever it feels like it. If I want to place a document in a specific path to go into a specific file, save it THERE, dammit, don’t change it during the “save as” function.

I said it before and I’ll say it again: the dumbest thing I ever did was not go Mac in the beginning.

Oh -- the email I sent to the potential editor of Real bounced back yesterday; I'm going to call her office tomorrow and see what's going on.

Devon

4 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I can't cook pork chops. I'm afraid I'll undercook them so I always OVER cook them. But I love them.

Your new books sound awesome!

Have a POSITIVE day! Today is my mom's birthday. It can't be a BAD day!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Tenille said...

Wow, that's awesome progress there on Real! And those pork chops sound delicious. I still can't quite master gravy, but I am trying to find a good one for shrimp (well, shrimp and grits... ya know, the southern thing).

I tasted the best stuffed salmon over the weekend. I mention it because I always love to hear you talk about your wild salmon.

Aah, to have my own kitchen again...

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Pork chops are easy if you bake them. Try breading them and popping them in the oven at 375 degrees. They should come out nice and juicy.

Advice from this vegetarian. LOL!

Devon, glad you're feeling well enough to cook again.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Sue said...

Mmmm...I love pork chops. Breaded though, with apple sauce.

Glad to hear the writing is coming together and good luck for improvement in the Situation.


And good luck with the possible Boston gig!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home