Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sunday, June 11, 2006
Full Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Sunny and cool

I have a sports hangover. Between the Belmont Stakes, the third game of the Stanley Cup Final, the World Cup Soccer and the Men’s Finals of the French Open – I’m exhausted! :)

Yesterday morning was caught up more in the Situation – it’s going to get uglier over the next few weeks before it gets better.

I went grocery shopping and went to the Farmer’s Market in Greenwich, where I paid far too much for fresh produce (because, hey, it’s Greenwich, and people will pay it). So now I’ve experienced their market and can find another one. But the broccoli actually had taste, and the tomatoes look good enough to paint before eating, so it was all worth it.

I was late to the Belmont party, and only got to watch from the sixth race onwards. It was a pretty good day – you’ll get to read about it in my next article for FemmeFan.

And then, after the races were complete, we continued the party with Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final, Edmonton vs. Carolina. Now, Cam Ward, the 22 year –old Carolina goalie, is one of “mine” – at his draft in 02, I predicted he’d be in the playoffs within three years, and he is, anchoring the Final, in four. And Raffi Torres, of Edmonton, has been one of my biggest inspirations in the hockey books since 2002 when he was a Bridgeport Sound Tiger. But, hey, since when do Raffi and I have the same hair color? ;) When I first met him, I’d given up being a blonde after more than twenty years and was a redhead (much more suited to my temperament). Raffi was a platinum blonde. Now we’re both redheads. Go figure.

I’ve got two articles to complete today, the ghost story to work on (my friend, the magnificent writer Chaz Brenchley, just wrote a ghost story and we’re going to swap – we wrote a radio play together a few years ago that was performed at the writers’ conference in Nottingham, much to the delight of Sarah Caudwell (I miss her). Having Chaz’s expert eye on it will improve it immensely.

I emailed one of my editors. The new contracts are arriving – but they still owe me a payment. All bets are off until I get my check. The lag time gets longer and longer every year. That’s the only downside to working with this particular company, but it’s a big one – because this is a HUGE company and they can afford to send out the checks on time!

Acupuncture out by the racetrack this afternoon, then the Tony Awards party. Another busy day, with two articles to write (I’m writing about both the races and the hockey game) and finishing the short story.

I still need a name for the damned thing!

Angela du Maurier’s memoir has some excellent information about what it was like to be a part of successful theatrical productions in 1920’s London – that alone makes the book valuable. And she talks a lot about what it was like in Cornwall during WWII, which could be useful in the idea that began formulating yesterday.

I’m now reading Poemcrazy by Susan Wooldridge, and it’s triggering so many thoughts I think I’ll have to do an essay for Circadian Poems.

More info on Circadian tomorrow.

Now – I have articles to write. And a steak to marinade. And a navy blue silk dress to prepare for tonight. And a shower to take so I’m in a fit state to appear at the acupuncturist’s!

Devon

3 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger jungle said...

when do you get time to blog? lol!

excellent, as always.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Lara said...

You BUSY WOMAN, you!

You sound in high spirits. I hope you're having a good weekend!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Voodoo's Room said...

Wasn't Jazil delightful????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home