Sunday, June 04, 2006

Sunday, June 4 2006
Waxing Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Cloudy and cool

I was awakened at 5:30 by a crash outside. Someone was hanging around the building, when they shouldn’t, especially in light of everything that’s been going on. I watched the erratic behavior for awhile (staring at the building, trying car door handles, pissing in the bushes), got dressed and went down, but, by the time I got there, he was gone. With The Situation escalating, we can’t take any chances. He might have been a drunk kid on his way home from a busy Saturday night. Or not.

Yes, The Situation got worse again yesterday, which threw a wrench into my writing day.

But it wasn’t all lost. I got six pages done on Real. They’re done with Prague and now they’re in Tahiti. In Tahiti comes the major plot/character development to which the book has been building since early in the Scottish section. It has to be handled carefully, which means I’ll work more slowly for the next few days. If it’s heavy-handed or clichéd, it cheats both the audience and the characters. And, since the last third of the book rests on this axis, it’s important to get it right.

The proposal I’m working on isn’t working at all, which is frustrating.

I did five pages on the ghost story. As the character relationship develops between Caitlin and Nate mostly through dialogue, it’s taking longer than I anticipated. I thought the story would run ten pages; now it’s more likely to run twenty.

Read more in Callings, and there was a chapter that seemed to speak to the situation a friend of mine currently experiences. So I emailed her and told her to go out and get the book! I’m also trying to finish David Leavitt’s memoir on Florence.

I have to do more paperwork for the Situation today, because it has to be faxed first thing in the morning.

I want to work on Real. It’s nice to write about the beauty of French Polynesia when it’s so rainy and dreary here! Although a rainstorm is part of the catalyst for this next section. And I want to do more work on the ghost story.

The cold, which was getting better, has gotten worse again, so I’m still not feeling completely myself.

And The Situation doesn’t help, either.

Devon

PS Yesterday, I shot out of bed at 6 AM, cats flying everywhere, because the downstairs neighbor turned on his jazz music full blast; this morning, I was up before he was because of the loiterer, but when I got home, he’d started the organ music (in honor of Sunday, I guess). I like his choice of music; I just wish it was on a bit more quietly, especially during extremes of the day.

1 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Egad, I would KILL him. Sleep is precious!

Stay strong--it seems like the writing is getting you through all this...like it's keeping you sane.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home