Thursday, June 22, 2006

Thursday, June 22, 2006
Waning Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Cloudy and muggy

Today, the days already begin to get shorter. The Solstice is touted as “the first day of summer”, but actually it’s Midsummer. Beltane (May 1) is the first day of summer and Lammas (Aug. 1) is the first harvest.

It was a nice drive up to Mohegan Lake to the fabric store. I didn’t find everything I wanted, but I stocked up on zippers, and I found fabric for a dress and two shirts. I didn’t find fabric with the right drape for some of the projects I need to do, I didn’t find the fabric I wanted to recover the chairs, and I didn’t find fabric I liked for fall, but, oh, well. I’ll go up to Hartsdale for the upholstery fabric, and pay a visit to my favorite store in the garment district for the rest.

We had a nice lunch in a big, retro-y diner in Bardonia – excellent food and enormous portions. I had to bring half of mine home, and I didn’t want any dinner.

Writing-wise, yesterday was a bust. I can’t make heads or tails out of the story from Alexandra’s point of view. I have no idea what my intent was in writing the story. It’s incoherent mush. The first line’s good and it goes downhill from there. And my characters in Real are balking – they don’t want to leave Tahiti. Since I’ve left them there for a few weeks, they find that they like it. However, I need to get them back to England pretty soon, and then some of them have to come back to the US. Okay, so one of the protagonists is going to Mexico for a bit, but still . . .they can’t be lounging around in Bora Bora indefinitely! They’ve got a plot to follow!

I have a meeting in the city this afternoon, so I need to prepare for that – I better be productive this morning.

I’m reading Peter Bowerman’s book The Well Fed Writer: Back for Seconds. It’s every bit as good as the first one. I’ve taken pages and pages of notes, and it’s helping me re-think my GDRs. I’m at a half way point in the year, and I might actually be able to start making plans again in the next few weeks. I want to be ready.

I also found a Canadian magazine to which I’d like to submit, but the guidelines I found on one site are different than on their own, so I emailed them, asking for clarification. No point in sending them something if they’re only interested in Canadian writers.

I’ll be glad when today’s meeting is over. I have a lot to do, and I need to get back on track with my life in general. Or, at least, try to.

The weekend will be all about the NHL draft and writing about it, and trying to squeeze in work on Real in and around everything else. Plus catch up on mountains of email regarding other projects, work on the websites, follow up on previous queries/pitches and create some fresh prospect lists.

Devon

2 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger Colin said...

I presume you would recommend the Well Fed Writer? I wasn't sure about it (im on the mailng list) but if it came recommended....

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Best of luck with the meeting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home