Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Wednesday, June 21, 2006
Waning Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde (as of Monday)
Hazy and warm
Summer Solstice

Today is the summer solstice! Enjoy!

Work was okay yesterday, although I got a call that the Situation is nowhere near resolved. I seem to be the only one not surprised by this. Looks like I was right not to get my hopes up past a glimmer.

So we dig in.

Got some organizational work done, and a lot of writing in my head, but very little on paper. There’s a set of well-paying anthologies I found, seeking submissions – the themes are way out of what I usually do – especially one of them, which, I’m sure, is part of the allure.

Exercise IX is up on the Scruffy Dog Review Blog.

The positive outcome of these exercises is that I have a set of five new stories that I never would have written (since the newspaper articles I randomly clipped were the jumping off point), and an idea in how to use the exercises in the future.

In general, I’m feeling trapped and frustrated. The Situation’s obviously a major part of it, but it goes beyond The Situation. It’s tied in to the work. I’m ready to make the next leap, and I’m not feeling challenged enough, both by my work (the writing) and my environment. So I have to sit down and figure out what that means on a practical level, and then make the changes I need to make. There’s no reason to be vile to people around me because I’m the one frustrated, and that’s pretty much where I am right now.

Having a migraine doesn’t help, either.

I’m taking a ride about 20 miles upstate, past the reservoir, later this morning, to the fabric store. I think a break dealing with something tangible and practical will help. I need to find fabric to recover two chairs, get some zippers (because, for goodness’ sake, it’s nearly impossible to get a zipper in this part of the county, can you believe it? Twenty miles to buy a zipper. Insane), and look at some fabric. I want to make some more dresses for summer going into fall, and I want to look at some suit fabric. I need to make a few suits for fall and winter. My wardrobe consists of jeans for backstage, yoga clothes for writing, play clothes for playing or formal evening wear for events. I need to have clothes for meetings as I expand the writing business. I can look bohemian when I’m teaching, or like I just got off the motorcycle – but it won’t do if I’m trying to convince a small museum or a cancer institute that I’m the best possible writer for their new campaigns. The suit I wore to speak to the City Council last week is great – and it’s the one I bought to work the hockey draft in Nashville in 2003. Fortunately, it’s a classic cut and still works. Since I’m not happy with what’s in the stores, I’ll make my own. A few styles of skirt, a few pairs of different pants, some jackets – they can mix and match, and I’m done.

The writing goal today is to work on the revisions of the unnamed first person story, the unnamed longer story linking the three odd articles, and 5 pages of Real. Of course, ideas for one of the anthologies – the story that would be a horror story – is poking at me. But it needs more of what Terry Brooks calls “dream time”.

Devon

3 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Lara said...

That's something I always wished I knew how do to: make my own clothes. But I never had the patience to learn. I envy you! My mom was an excellent seamstress. She could whip up our Easter dresses in a day. (Which she usually did, because she' procrastinate until the day BEFORE Easter!)
;-) Hope your migraine goes away--I still swear by Exedrin. And it makes you happy. :-)

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Billi-Jean said...

Happy Solstice! :)

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

My youngest sister sews like a tailor (she made a friend's wedding dress and it was gorgeous) and another writer friend is also an expert seamstress who frequently designs and makes her own clothes. I love elegant clothing, but the sewing gene just didn't land on me. But I know how to crochet! d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home