Friday, July 14, 2006

Friday, July 14
Waning Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Hazy and hot


Bastille Day.

Which shouldn’t really have any meaning to me, except that was the day, many years ago, when I quit one of my least favorite jobs, and every year on Bastille Day, I’m glad I did.

Every time more bad news comes on about Barbaro, I cry. I want him to survive. He’s come so far! But horses are extremely delicate creatures, in spite of their size. I hope the doctors don’t give up on him too early.

I disagree with:

--the theory that if a woman is polite, she can’t be assertive. I think you can stand up for yourself and not be horrible. I don’t always achieve that, but I do think it’s possible. I usually fail on the politeness part of the equation.

--the theory that if you’re polite, you’re a hypocrite. There are many genuine hypocrites who pretend to be polite. However, one can be polite and not be hypocritical. It just takes a bit more work sometimes.

A colleague of mine is going through a break-up with her partner of 25 years. Few of us in the circle of friends and acquaintances liked him – he is an arrogant, narcissistic man who thought she should put his career before hers – and he only has about one eighth of her talent. Typical. Still, I’m a little shocked at how many people have told her how glad they are about the break up.

She asked me for my opinion in this, and my response (nothing like being put on the spot) was, “No, I didn’t like him much; nor did I like the way he treated you. However, breaking up always sucks, and I’m sorry you two have to go through it.”

Probably not the best answer, but it was the best I could come up with at the time and not lie.

What else is going to suck is trying to get to the city and back out here before noon, only to fight the Hampton-crazed traffic to acupuncture and back this afternoon. I can’t really understand why a bunch of shallow, pretentious people spend their Friday afternoons and Sunday evenings stuck in traffic so that they can get drunk on the beach and have sex with people they can’t stand when they’re all in the city. Oh, yeah, because they’re shallow and pretentious.

The East End of Long Island is beautiful in the off-season and there are some really great people who live there year-round, but you’d have to pay me A LOT of money to go there in the summer. Almost as much as you’d have to pay me to get me to work in LA.

When it comes to the Hamptons, I am not polite at all.

I want to re-read what I’ve got so far on The Fix-It Girl, too, this weekend. I need to get back into the groove of it. I want to finish the first draft before this year’s NaNo.

I’m trying to decide between Amadeus Doe and Treasure’s Hunt as my NaNo for this year. I’ll just see which one pulls me harder in October, when it’s time to sign up again.

I must be nuts to do it again.

Well, that was no stretch, was it?

Don’t forget to hop over to join Day 5 of Home Om on Kemmyrk.

Oh, joy! I found Margaret Lane’s biography of Beatrix Potter on my shelf. I thought it was in storage! And it’s not! Happy Day!

Of course, I dreamed about bunnies wearing mufflers checking books out of the library, but that's the price you pay for reading her biography before bedtime.

Off to the early train.

Devon

3 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Bunnies with mufflers, ha ha!
My dreams last night were about Bejeweled...

;-)

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

I think your response to your colleague was right on the mark.

So sad about Barbaro too - I hope he makes it.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Playing catch up here. I totally agree with you about the polite-standing up for yourself thing. You CAN do both. In fact, I just did yesterday with fing Enterprise. I was polite - to a certain point. I never cussed at him and I never lost my cool. BUT I made it very clear I was a dissatisfied customer.

Anyway - it can be done. :)

RE: your answer to your friend about breaking up: You were right to tell her the truth. People don't want to hear it at first (because the truth hurts) but when she has time for it to sink in and think about things, she'll begin to realize you were probably right. Been there done that. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home