Wednesday, July 12, 2006

July 12 Part II

I forgot to relate two important things:

First of all, my friend Michelle Miles’s book Talk Dirty to Me has been released by Samhain Press.

Check it out here:

http://samhainpublishing.com/talkdirtytome.shtml

I like Scott Carpenter’s cover art, and I’m looking forward to reading Michelle’s book! I broke in to publishing by writing erotica. Fortunately, the market’s changed for the better in the past ten years – I was repeatedly told that my work had too much humor in it! I always thought sex should be fun, but at that time, most of the editors were male and they wanted it to grind. And it became a grind to write, so I stopped.

Now, with more women on top, so to speak, the market is getting more creative.

On to an entirely different topic:

I went to Salzburg Patisserie, a wonderful bakery down the street, to pick up breakfast. Ahead of me were a woman and her three sons. I’d say they ranged in age of 7, 5, and 3. The 3 year old clutched his blue blanket with him – much bigger than he was! He held his mother’s hand as they crossed the street, while the 7 year old linked hands with the 5 year old. They were so excited by the cases of pastries, and the smell of the bakery! They ran up and down the cases, comparing opinions, trying to make up their minds what to get. Their mother was worried that they kept everyone waiting, but, as I said, “I’m not on a schedule this morning, and if waiting five minutes is going to ruin someone’s day – that person should have gotten up five minutes earlier!” They decided on lemonade and muffins. The three of them raced off to set chairs around a table so they could all sit together. They were lively and interested in everything and you just got the sense that they were intelligent and sweet and lovely boys – still rambunctious boys, but in the best possible sense. It was so funny – the door to the bakery is a very heavy glass door –even I have a problem with it. But the seven year old battled it until he got it open – then insisted on holding it open for his brothers, his mother, and me. Wouldn’t let anyone help him – he wanted to do it. It was so cute! What a great way to start the day.

Devon

6 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Oh those boys sound SO sweet! :) Their momma has done a good job.

Thanks for the plug!! You know what? I totally agree with you - sex and humor and that's exactly what Talk Dirty To Me is. I hope you enjoy it. :)

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

Thank you for the recommendation. It's encouraging to hear your perception on changing erotica market and fascinated to know that you started writing in the genre! I agree, I think sex should be fun. "Baby Boy", the project I'm working on is about a young man who does phone sex professionally. I enjoy interspersing humor and pathos into the character's lives.

The boys at the bakery sound completely adorable. How sweet, the young man holding the door open for everyone. He's going to grow up to be quite the gentleman!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Awww, cute kids!

:o)

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Kristen King said...

Devon, what an excellent observation: "...if waiting five minutes is going to ruin someone’s day – that person should have gotten up five minutes earlier!" I'm going to remember that!

Kristen

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Anita said...

I really enjoyed reading your "snapshot of life" about the mother and her boys. I love observing people as they go about their day.

And the recommendation for the book is appreciated as well. I've only just discovered erotica and am looking for some good things to read. (I don't think I can write it, though..)

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Why do you think I get up five minutes early?

;-)

Those boys sound very cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home