Monday, July 17, 2006

Monday, July 17, 2006
Waning Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Very hot and humid



Day 8 of Home Om on Kemmyrk. We’ve done a whole week. The second week of any commitment is always the most difficult, I find. One resists, and tries to find excuses to break the commitment. How badly you wish to manifest your desire (whether it’s a new home or your writing) is reflected in whether or not you overcome your resistance and keep your commitment.

Barbaro’s holding on. Come on, boy, you can do it!

Wrote Wednesday’s Dog Blog yesterday – since I have long days at the theatre both Tuesday and Wednesday, it makes sense to do it in advance, so all I have to do is post it.

Ten pages on Real, which worked well. Did a good sequence in LA, showing how Sam’s life has changed. He met up with Callie in the Yucatan, and now they’re headed to Cape Cod. I’m just over 300 pages, so a little less than 100 pages to go to the end. Part of me hopes that I’ll come in a bit under 400 pages, because the second draft will be expanded, and it means I’ll have to cut so much for the third draft. But I have to let it be what it is.

Writing about Mexico makes me remember a screenplay I wrote, an adventure story set there, a few years ago. It makes me want to go back and see if it could be adapted into an interesting novel.

Worked on “The Literary Athlete” column for the September issue and sent off the interview questions. I finally distilled them down a bit. I feel like I’m still only skimming the surface, but that’s usually the case. Several of the authors interviewed got the answers back to me immediately, which was wonderful – they’re so inspiring!

Typed up the rest of the first chapter of Shallid and the whole second chapter. Then, I sat down and read the entire first draft, because I couldn’t stop! It’s the fantasy novel I always wanted to read, and, since no one else wrote it, I did! ;) There’s plenty of work to be done in the revisions, but the themes, plot, characters – they’re holding up pretty darned well. It’s a piece of which I’m proud. And, since I plan to live with these characters for thirteen books and have a nom de plume dedicated specifically to this series, I’m glad I like it!

Unfortunately, the notes I made for the series are missing. The folder is exactly where it should be, but it’s empty. That’s disturbing. I searched my desk and the tables with piles of papers and folders all around m desk. Nothing.

I made those notes when the Situation heated up – I wonder if the notes could have gotten mixed in with that paperwork somehow?

I have to be very focused and productive today, because I have two long days at the theatre coming (to which I do not look forward). So, I need to get a lot done on the home front today.


Devon


Real – first draft – 75,000 words out of 100,000 words


Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
75 / 100
(75.0%)



Shallid – typed draft 1A – 5,684 words out of 82,000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
5 / 82
(6.1%)

2 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Blogger Debra Young said...

That's great news about Shallid. I hope it becomes a successful series for you. I truly enjoy your progress. It keeps me going. d:)

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Shallid sounds incredible. I did the same thing with MAGIC - I wanted a fantasy romance and couldn't find one on the shelf, so I wrote it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home