Monday, July 24, 2006

Monday, July 24, 2006
Dark of the Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Sunny and pleasant



Check out Day 15 of Home Om on Kemmyrk. Big day over there. Today and tomorrow, as the moon changes from dark to new, are days of big shifts in our work.

Worked on Wednesday’s Dog Blog.

I noticed in Real that I’ve fallen into one of my typical first draft patterns: too many adjectives, adverbs, and too many useless words. Now, I am not one of those purists who stands up and screeches, “Cross out every adverb!” I’m rather fond of adverbs, and there are times when an adverb holds the exact shade of meaning I want.

However, in Real, I’m over-using the word “just”. (Yes, I know it’s not an adverb, I’m moving on). It’s to the point where I’m annoying myself in the first draft. Sam in particular “justs” his way around a good deal. When I try to cut the word from his dialogue, his cadence is thrown off, he doesn’t sound like himself, and he sulks. So the compromise I’ve come up with is that, in the next draft, I will cut all the “justs” out, except when it’s part of his speech pattern.

Let me tell you, that negotiation was tougher than working on the Broadway contract for the union!

Unfortunately, I also hit a patch of Massive Insecurity in regard to Real. I’m doubting it and myself, and it made the writing rough going. However, I’m so damned close to finishing the draft that I’m going to push through it no matter what. Time to get over myself already.

The Massive Insecurity escalated when an industry colleague I’d offered to help decided I’m not famous enough/important enough to associate with. “(“I only have time to spend with people who can further my career. You’re not in that category.”) Now, this is not someone I know well enough to know if I like or not – this tips the balance into “not so much.” Someone I know who thinks highly of him asked me to help him when he was in town, and I agreed. In the scheme of the Universe and even of my own personal Universe, it’s not that big a deal. The timing is unfortunate, when I’m already feeling a bit under-the-weather in the self-esteem category, but, oh, well.

I briefly considered naming a character after him in something and then killing him off, but why even bother to immortalize? I think excommunication is a better choice than immortalization.

On top of that, it looks as though August is going to explode with bizarre busy-ness. I’ve been working on GDRs for August, but, by the time the first of August rolls around, I might have to toss them all and only concentrate on the contracted work for the month. We’ll see how things shake out over the next week. Right now . . .it’s all getting weird. Not necessarily bad weird, but weird.

And anything that keeps me out of the current show-related bitter drama is a good thing.

Won a couple of things I really, really wanted on eBay and bid on a few more items – one set of items, if I win it, will be a gift for a friend, who I think would really enjoy it.

So, it’s a tough writing day today, but other things are percolating.

Now, if I could just find the first draft of “Ris an Abrar” . . .

Typed Chapter 6 of Shallid. Not easy, but got it done. Slowly, slowly, word by word. Today’s a day to lean back on craft, because there’s not a whole lot of inspiration happening.

Today was also the 100th day of the second 100 Days of meditation. Everything stopped at 4PM Eastern time for a group meditation wherever we were. What a wonderful feeling of peace and connection. A great antidote to the feelings of frustration and depression with which I battled all day. It revived me quite a bit, and, after, I realized a breakthrough in Real – though I haven’t reached it yet in the plot. I only managed a measly 3 pages today. But this will have conflict coming at both Sam and Callie, as well as heightening conflict between them.

No chance to work on Jioleagh, play with the crew of the Merry, or work on the articles. Although I’ve just about written one in my head. Hopefully, that means it will transfer quickly to the page.

Just before I was ready to go to bed, I wrote the first draft of “As the Sky Lightens”, for last week’s Dog Blog exercise. It’s about flash-fiction length – first draft runs about 500-ish words. It’s an interesting, twisty little piece. I have to look at the flash fiction markets – the one most open to flash fiction may not be open to a story whose protagonist is a transvestite. I’ll have to do a bit more research.

Walking back from the bagel store this morning, I had another breakthrough for Real. It will add in another chunk of plot (which means the story could overreach 100,000 words), but it would raise the stakes in a much better way. Of course, Crispin Bond, the character who wandered in yesterday (and whose first mention I have to go back and plant about twenty pages earlier) is deeply involved, and, if I’m not careful, he’ll hijack the ending. I may need to promise him his own book in the future to distract him.

Watched Good Night, and Good Luck last night. Wow, what an amazing movie. What a magnificently detailed and nuanced production. Now there is an example of some of the best filmmaking that’s been done in the past twenty or so years. The relevance to our current escalating culture of fear is also powerful. If you haven’t seen this movie, go out and see it now. Several times. It’s especially important for teens to see it, to get the sense of history. Already, the current administration, much like McCarthy, claims that anyone who disagrees with them is disloyal and unpatriotic.

No less than our Founding Fathers (and Mothers – let’s not forget the women) beg to disagree.

It was also interesting to watch National Treasure and Good Night, and Good Luck on consecutive days. On the surface, they seem like vastly different films. And yet the themes of responsibility, patriotism, passion, intelligence, and freedom run deeply through both of them.



Real -- 82,625 words out of est. 100,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
82 / 100
(82.0%)


Shallid – Typed Draft 1 A – 14,980 out of 82,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
14 / 82
(17.1%)

3 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

I had to laugh be "just" is one of my big downfalls too. I think if you keep it to the characters dialogue it should be okay - because that's just the way some people talk. *gg*

I have Good Night, and Good Luck but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

People who only want to associate with "important" people will find themselves alone someday - because "important" people will see through them and not want them around. Just my humble opinion.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

People who use honesty like a cudgel deserve a sound battering with same. Whatever happened to "thank you so much..."?

Don't fret, Devon, you're doing great. Hugs, d:)

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

'Feel' is mine.

And sentences starting with 'ing' words.

I'm terrible for it, bug myself silly.

:O)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home