Monday, July 03, 2006

Monday, July 3, 2006
Waxing Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Hot and muggy

So, Merc is retrograde for a few weeks – I’ll stay as quiet as possible, give myself extra time to travel, hope the computer does not crash, and shop! ;)

I dreamed about doing quick changes all night, so I woke up, exhausted. Only, they wanted to sell more tickets, so the show moved from the Gershwin to something that was a cross between the Delacorte and Giants Stadium. And now the costumes were kept in warehouses. And they hired 100 extra dancers for the Emerald City sequence, but wouldn’t hire any more dressers to do the quick change. And they added a song called “Lava Lamp”. Go figure.

I’m exhausted!

The show I actually trailed for the matinee yesterday was fine. Much as I don’t like that track, I’d still rather do that than the one I dreamed!

I have a new use for genealogical charts – I’m using them in the writing. The pedigree charts and the family group sheets one uses in genealogical research come in handy when you’re trying to plot intricate family/royal relationships. I’ve run off a bunch more copies and I’m using them in both the Whaling Saga and the Combo Project. (Yes, the Combo Project will, someday, have a title. But since I don’t yet know what it is, I’m calling it the Combo Project). I’m also clearly marking these charts as fiction, with the project name – can’t have someone come across them 100 years down the line and think I’m so twisted I either made up a royal history (Combo Project) or that I’m dumb enough I thought I was related to the whalers.

Also, for the Whaling Saga, I have to come up with an historical timeline. As I do my reading and take my notes, I’m jotting down dates of important events. As I finish each book and each set of notes, I put the dates into an overall, computerized timeline. That way, as I sit down to outline the saga, I can use historical events as inspiration for incidents as well as deciding where important life events for the characters fit into the overall history.

I want to get my hands on a history of New Bedford. I’m pretty sure I want to base the family in New Bedford, although some of them will venture to Nantucket, Provincetown, and even as far as Hawaii. Whether it will be different characters that I follow in single location stories or the same character traveling a great deal, I’m not yet sure. Nor am I sure if different characters will host sections of a single book, or if each character will have its own book and it will be a series.

In any case, it won’t be in chronological order. Harriet and Obediah’s youngest daughter, Caroline, is the character who interests me the most. Therefore, I will start with her and decide which other characters to follow intently.

I plan to go to an enormous second hand bookstore in Niantic sometime in the next few weeks – I hope I can root out many more nautical/New England historical tomes there.

One of my happiest memories is entering The Book Barn in Wells, Maine, on impulse one day and coming out with an entire box of nautical books, including a first edition of a sailor’s journal that was only done as a small print run by an independent press.

One of my writers’ groups has given me enormous help in my article on literary herbs. I’ve got enough to make a good start on the article, and pursue quotes. I also want to get an early start on my September column for The Scruffy Dog Review, because I want to get author quotes for that one, too. I’m trying to decide which authors to approach for that – I have about a half a dozen prospects, but I want to narrow it down, and maybe ask some of the other ones questions about what will be November’s column.

My head is still spinning with the dream, and I have to go back on the 11 AM train today and face the reality. I’ll be home around 1 AM tomorrow.

I can’t wait for tomorrow, when I can stay home and SLEEP!

Devon

1 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Don't ya hate "working" in your sleep? There's nothing worse!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home