Monday, July 31, 2006

Monday, July 31, 200l6
Waxing Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Hot and humid


Day 22 of Home Om on Kemmyrk.

Yesterday felt like a slog, but I got quite a bit done. A whole day of solitude was absolutely lovely and necessary. It was already brutally hot by the time I got back from the store at 8 AM with groceries and newspapers, so on with the AC.

I wrote, revised, edited, and shot off the article for FemmeFan. I reworked and reworked and reworked one of the other articles for Llewellyn, sorted information and roughed out a second, and reworked the third.

I worked on the SDR column, and needed to ask permission to send something longer than usual, with which I will work with my editor in case it needs to be cut down.

I made notes on some short stories and a novel. Goodness, they’re stacking up again like planes over LaGuardia. I wrote a letter requesting an interview to a potential subject, and I reworked a letter for a pro bono client.

Wrote Wednesday’s Dog Blog.

Attempted to update some of my links.

Read Annis Duff’s Bequests of Wings: A Family’s Pleasures with Books, which was a disappointment. It sounds like it would be wonderful to tag along with someone else’s book adventures. Instead, it is a 1954 treatise on how to bring up children in books. I suppose it was good in its time, but I find it sexist and the type of thing that makes me remember why I have such a problem with authority. I do agree with her position on fairy tales being a good thing, and not in conflict with religious beliefs, and her account of a Christmas holiday was a lovely period piece, but the tone of the rest of the book was so smug I found it annoying.

Outlined a children’s story. It might be too young a piece for a chapter book, or it might just make it into Chapter-Book Land. I’ll have to do a bit of research.

Gave myself a treat by typing a few pages of Shallid, but not enough to make it worth updating the word meter.

The bastards are here to blast the bricks outside my window again. I’m tempted to invoice the landlord for work upset at the high end of my hourly fee.

Devon


July GDR Evaluation:

Complete:
4 Dog Blogs
2 Llewellyn contracted Llewellyn articles

In Process:
Typing Shallid
Real
– so close to finishing the first draft!

Not Done:
20 pages of Fix-It Girl
6th draft of Clear the Slot
DE site up and running
12 queries
KM Farnesworth story

Additional (done):
3 short story submissions
Nautical research
Notes on The Combo Project
Extra article for Llewellyn contracted
Untitled short story – 4 pages
Home Om
Revised “Not My Vote”, “Needed”, and “Election Exaction”
Daisy Hill Farm notes
Casherick Drualtys series notes
Started Jioleagh
Notes for “The Merry’s Dalliance”
“As The Sky Lightens” – first draft
Bernardini article for FemmeFan
YA notes
Partial draft – short story from Painting Exercise
Triskele project notes
Children’s story outline

Disappointments:
Rejection from a major magazine (short story)
Disrespected by a colleague (mistake on his part)
The Situation heating up again

Successes:
“Literary Athlete” in SDR
Featured in Anne Wayman’s “31 Days to Freelance Success”
Mentioned in Lori Widmer’s “Words on the Page”
Press Release of 1000+ Post point for Ink in My Coffee
Check arrived for Mogollan Rim anthology

The successes outweigh the disappointments on many levels. Not a bad month, for the first time I could get back to the GDRs all year.

July Reading:

Liberating Paris by Linda Bloodworth-Thomason. Good, but not great.

A Murder on Lenox Hill by Victoria Thompson. Some very good writing; sometimes felt it was too modern for the period.

Sir Walter Scott’s Journal (unfinished). Excellent. Needs to be savored, not rushed through.

The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. (Unfinished). Didn’t like it.

The Circle at Center by Douglas Niles. (Unfinished). Didn’t like it.

Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman. (Unfinished). Beautiful writing, difficult book. Some of the characters made me angry.

The Tale of Holly How by Susan Wittig Albert. Excellent and charming.

The Goddess Celebrates edited by Diane Stein. Excellent.

A Writer in the Garden edited by Jane Garmey. Excellent.

Wrapt in Crystal by Sharon Shinn. Excellent. This will go on my list of favorite novels.

A Tale of Beatrix Potter by Margaret Lane. Very good.

Country Editor by Henry Beetle Hough (unfinished). Very good, but needs to be read slowly.

Murder in Bertram’s Bower by Cynthia Peale. Very good.

Mapping the World of Harry Potter edited by Mercedes Lackey. Interesting variety. Some of the essays excellent, some less so. Contrasting points of view interesting.

Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman by Elizabeth Buchan. Good.

February House by Sherrill Teppin. Very good.

Children of the Night by Mercedes Lackey. Very good.

Bequests of Wings: A Family’s Pleasures with Books by Annis Duff. Irritating.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Okay, your list made me feel absolutely INFERIOR! You amaze me, as always, with your energy.
And I would LOVE to see you invoice your landlord...rattle him a little!

:-)

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger junebee said...

Wow, you do more on a hot summer's day than most people do all year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home