Saturday, July 22, 2006

Saturday, July 22, 2006
Waning Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Cloudy, rainy, hot, humid

Too hot. Hate this weather.

Tidbits of information:

Con Ed lied like rugs all week – over 100,000 people have been without power since last Monday in Queens (they claimed it was about 1000). Considering how much they charge everybody each month, it should be zero, unless it’s for a single day. The Queens DA is opening a criminal investigation. Could it be some execs were pocketing cash instead of using it to maintain equipment? Like there’s a stretch.

Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant (the one nearest my home) shut down yesterday afternoon because something started sparking inside. Oh, goody. When I start glowing in the dark, I’ll know my backstage career is over.

A traffic accident yesterday morning closed down I-95 in the Bronx because a flatbed truck collided with a truck carrying a missile.

I’d like to know what the fuck a missile was doing on the highway during rush hour, okay? Especially in a situation where its carrier got into an accident. Accident. Right. I somehow don’t think anyone that stupid and careless would be driving around a missile. Oh, yeah, I forgot who’s running the country right now. I believe it. No one’s admitting anything. It’s bad enough to have random missiles wandering around a heavily populated area, but to transport one during rush hour? What kind of drugs are these people on?

It also makes me re-think the facts around the crash of TWA Flight 800, which recently had its ten-year memoriam. To this day, witnesses swear it was taken down by a missile. The Government Who-has, of course, have always denied it. But yesterday’s accident makes it obvious that there are missiles around here that those of us just trying to get through the day know nothing about. So, yes, it is completely possible that someone stole one of the rockets, missiles, etc. in transit (since obviously they’re not under the kind of security they should be when they’re moving) and used it to take down the plane. The Who-has said it was a problem in the fuel tank. Well, when a rocket hits the fuel tank of the airplane, yes, that’s a problem.

And you wonder why I want to move?

Speaking of which, hop on over to Kemmyrk for Day 12 of Home Om. We’re closing in on the Dark Moon and that’ll be a big day for us.

At least, in spite of heat and storms and missiles and sparking nuclear power plants, I had a good writing day.

Eight pages of Real, ending a chapter with a cliff hanger with Sam’s ex-girlfriend high as a kite threatening to jump off a building in downtown LA. I have to find a map so I can decide which building.

Typed Chapter 3 of Shallid, and realized this is the perfect place (short chapter, good point in the story) for Elise’s new friends to fill her in a bit of geography of her new world.

Wrote 5 pages on Jioleagh, and it’s taking some interesting twists and turns in spite of the outline. Hey, the characters are fourteen. They’re not adults, but they’re not kids, and they’re overly smart and talented for their age. They’re going to get their hormones in a twist.

Roughed out an article; hated it; tossed it. Have to start over.

Heard about two fantasy anthologies to which I want to submit. One would be good for “Ris an Abrar” and the other is a high seas fantasy – I can sort of mix elements from Cutthroat Charlotte with elements from Angel Hunt. Of course, it’s all different characters, and it’s not even a romantic triangle, it’s more of a romantic hexagram . . .in other words, I’m already making notes.

I have until mid-October to finish up “Ris”, which I figure will run approximately 9,000 words, and I figure the High Seas Fantasy will run about 7k. The latter is due mid-January, 2007. That should not be a problem.

Can you tell I’m loving the whole anthology thing?

I also realized that if the Casherick Drualtys books do well (and I believe they will), once I hit book 13, I can split them off. I can continue with Elise’s progression through University and beyond – they’ll under a different series title – and a new student can come into Casherick Drualtys for more adventures, if there are more adventures to be had there. Who knows? Maybe after 13 books, the adventures will be used up. But there are possibilities.

Right now, I need to figure out if I have to rough outline all of the first thirteen books in order to make the first one the best it can be to sell. I see why Rowling outlined all seven Potter books – there are things near the end that may need to be planted in the middle or near the beginning. The big identity revelations for Elise will happen in Books 7 & 9, Fire Year, because fire is associated with identity. And yes, I do mean 7 & 9, because I have other plans for Book 8. Originally, one of the revelations was to come in Book 2, but I want to save it for its directional correspondence. And the other revelation was a revelation to me as of today, but it thoroughly makes sense within the context of the world. A world I’ve finally named. Because, hey, just because she’s walking through portals doesn’t mean she’s ending up in nameless places, right? And some of this information needs to be woven into the first book to set the foundation.

As I’m working on the typed draft of Shallid, the draft I call “1A”, I’m fixing some of the problems, but, mostly, taking notes of where the big rewrites need to happen for the second draft. And, as I work on Jioleagh, I see where more adjustments need to be made in Shallid, which, in turn, affect Jioleagh. And makes me wonder if I need to roughly plot out all thirteen. I don’t want to lose any semblance of spontaneity. But I don’t want to get several books in and go, “Damn, that would be a good way to go, if only I’d set it up in an earlier book.”

But I don’t want everything to feel too planned, which I sort of felt in the HP Book 6 – too many places where I stopped and thought, “Oh, she set that up in Book X” or “Oh, that’s to set up the end in Book 7.” Perhaps because I look at process instead of simply enjoying it, I notice more. But I want my own books to have more sense of life happening, rather than life being planned or manipulated by an outside force (the writer posing as deity), even though there are themes of fate, destiny, and choice that run throughout the books.

And, of course, I’m aware that the series could wear out its welcome by Book 13, or that it might not even make it that far. However, I’m not being an egotist, but an optimist in my plans.

In the meantime, I started working on the outline for the High Seas Fantasy short story. The working title is “The Merry’s Dalliance”, which is the name of the ship. ‘Tis a most unusual ship, it is. I’ve got the character arcs worked out and about the first third of the plot. I know where I want it to end, but I’m back at my old damn dilemma – the middle. You’d think my own gosh darned column would help me on that one. Maybe working on that article will help me to figure out the middle of this.

And I have to keep reminding myself this is a short story, not a novel. Maybe I shouldn’t try to pack everything including a treasure map in this particular story. Maybe these characters are worth more than one story, and I should just pick one damned thing for this one. But the three arcs braid together so nicely!

Until we hit the middle.

Sigh.

But Kit Erskine is a good character. Veeeerrry different from Charlotte, although just as strong minded in her own way.

And there’s a reason she goes by Kit and not Katherine.

Unless, of course, I change my mind. Or she does. Before the final draft.

Artie will figure that one out in three and a half seconds flat. But will you?

Devon


Real – 79,500 words out of est. 100,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
79 / 100
(79.0%)


Shallid -- typed draft 1A – 7,122 words out of 82,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
7 / 82
(8.5%)



Jioleagh -- 4,375 words out of est. 85,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
4 / 85
(4.7%)

4 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

You're an inspiration!

And the missile story, wow. Things like that just don't happen in Canada (if we even have any missiles). Surely that's worth working into a story somewhere - life stranger than fiction sometimes huh. xo

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Whew!
Some of your books and stories - especially the seas fantasy, sound so GOOD!

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Costume Imp said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Costume Imp said...

I just might have figured it out. Somethings are left better under wraps on the high Seas. HAAARRRRR

Speaking of the high Seas, my given name on the Pirates of the Caribbean website, is SWISHY ARTIESSIMO. Not swashy, swishy. This was computer generated. And Karma.

Keep writing doll, and don't mind the glowing backstage thing(if it happens). We will work up an act, and become the toast of the town. Thus allowing us to buy the house and land our girls so richly deserve.

And then we'll have to book the movie deals... I'm going to spare us the Talk shows until after the movie wraps.

Hope you have a most productive weekend!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home