Saturday, July 29, 2006

Saturday, July 29, 2006
Waxing Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury DIRECT (as of last night) – phew!
Hot and sunny

On this day in 1972, my father died. One doesn’t get over it; one learns to live with it.

The unceasing heat is getting to me. It’s expected to be in the high 90s with high humidity for at least the next week. Ick. I hope the power holds out.

Tired and discouraged. I’m trying to break patterns of response and move forward in the Re-Emergence of the Situation, but it takes a bit of work.

Day 20 of Home Om over on Kemmryk.

The notebook in which I’m writing the first draft of Jioleagh is too heavy to cart around regularly. However, with Shallid, having it in three notebooks meant the break between notebooks is very rocky, so it seemed like a better idea to put Jioleagh in one. I’ll get over it; I’m simply fretting when I should be writing.

I’m going to batten down the hatches all weekend to finish the deadlined work. One quick trip to the Post office this morning, then it’s air conditioner on and writing until I’m done. I wish I hadn’t been so exhausted when I got back from the theatre yesterday – it would have been good to work all night and sleep during the heat of the day.

I’m not allowing myself to work on any fiction until the articles are done. Period. I have several characters pitching fits in the background, and they are just going to have to deal. When I get advances to write their stories, they will be the priority.

Watched another episode of Faith and Reason last night, featuring discussions with Margaret Atwood and Martin Amis. Fascinating stuff. I completely agree with Atwood’s frustration that God is used as a weapon of destruction, which is certainly true in our time, and has been true in the various religions throughout the centuries. Both writers brought up many fascinating paradoxes and dilemmas. If you haven’t watched the shows, hope on over to PBS to do so. Anyone who calls him/herself a writer, or a thinking person or even a human being should watch it. That doesn’t mean one will agree with all the points of view, but the opinions and the reasoning behind them are fascinating, and it is good to shake up one’s own complacent thought processes once in awhile.

I’m annoyed with PBS for bowing to this administration’s censorship. Such a blatant act of cowardice condones the continuing erosion of civil liberties by this administration. Fortunately, this program seems to have escaped such censorship. I doubt it would even go into production now.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: People who are secure in their beliefs do not need to censor viewpoints different from their own. They have the intelligent reasoning to back up their beliefs and can discuss/convince/debate with those holding opposing points of view. Only those who know their beliefs are flawed and hold as many holes as a slice of Swiss cheese have to oppress and tyrannize anyone who disagrees.

In other words, there are many flawed beliefs floating around out there.

Devon

1 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Grief, especially that of a loved one, never truly leaves. My condolences on your Dad's passing. Even if it was long ago in years, I'm quite sure it was just yesterday in your heart.

I like your comment on censorship. Definitely food for thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home