Thursday, July 20, 2006

Thursday, July 20, 2006
Waning Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Cloudy and warm

Hop on over to Kemmyrk for Day 11 of Home Om.

I meant to work on Real yesterday morning, but then I started re-naming some things in the Casherick Drualtys books, and suddenly, it was time to take the train. I used quite a few Latin-based names (because I’d been using so much Manx-inspired on several projects), but it sounds too much like other stuff that’s out there. So, except for one term, which I think sounds kind of cool as it is, I’m switching everything over to Manx-inspired. Since I don’t actually speak Manx, I’m sure there will be plenty of mis-steps, which is why I’m saying “Manx-inspired” and not “Manx.” I’m going to change the name of the elite group of school bullies, probably to something either Old or Middle English or Breton. I bought a Middle English grammar textbook a zillion moons ago at Strand. Or course, it’s in storage.

Good thing I took the early train – it took nearly an hour and a half to cover the 25 miles to the city. So much for express trains. I barely made my call.

Matinee was fine, although I’m just so over the raked stage, the costumes which get heavier and more unmaneuverable with each re-design, and a few people who’ve just been there too darned long. But I also get to hang out with friends like A., and catch up with some of my favorite people. And I really enjoyed working with this particular principal actress, even though I’d been warned about her. We got along very well, and I found her a pleasure with which to work.

A. and I had dinner at Maison, which has now become “our” French restaurant. The service started out being worse than mediocre – basically the staff showed no interest in serving us, and that is not something that goes over well in New York or with New Yorkers. I don’t care if you’re French – get your butt over to the table in a timely manner, dammit! At any rate, the servers switched on us, and we ended up with a very nice woman who at least appeared to care. So we made sure she was the one who got the nice tip.

The food was excellent, as always. After dinner, I dashed up to the Time Warner Center to pick up a book for my Mom at Border’s. A. promised to call me if I got distracted and “forgot” to return to the theatre.

I even made it back by call time. I got:
The Courtesan by Susan Carroll (for my mom)
The Illuminator by Brenda Rickman Vanteage
The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman (I nearly bought it last time and regretted not doing so ever since)
Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman by Elizabeth Buchan
Phule’s Errand by Robert Asprin and Peter J. Heck

What can I say? They had a 4-for-3 deal and I couldn’t use my coupon in connection with it, so I used it on a fifth book.

Evening show was fine. Everything hurts and it’ll take several days’ worth of yoga to untwist it all.

I found out that Elsa (the tortoiseshell cat), likes Post Raisin Bran. That’ll teach me to get up to get another cup of coffee!

All I want to do is to go back to bed, but I have to focus and get some writing done – pages on Real and Jioleagh, and rough out at least two of the three articles. And I’d like to get something done on yesterday’s writing exercise I posted on the Dog Blog.

Too much to do; too little energy.

Devon

3 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Hee hee! I can just picture a cat sneaking some raisin bran! (And they always try to look so innocent when they do something sneaky, don't they?)

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Costume Imp said...

Have a nice long yoga session, and spend some time with your girls. You've earned it D!!!

Yes, lunch was fab (excluding the initial service). I suspect that between the shift change, and the filming that was going in the outside seating, two hungry wardrobe people were at the bottom of the servers list. The veal was worth the wait though... even if it did make me a bit sluggish during the evening performance.

Post Raisinbrand, huh? Did she eat everything or just pick out the raisins? (something i can easily see Little Roo doing)!

It's a wonderful cool day here in the city at the moment. I'm trying to get my act together and get ready to run some errands.

Hope you are enjoying your day!
xoA

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

I used to read Robert Asprin years ago - his MYTH Inc. series. You just reminded me about it and now I want it all over again. :)

I wholeheartedly agree - so much to do; so little energy. I feel the same way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home