Thursday, July 27, 2006

Thursday, July 27, 2006
Waxing Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Cloudy and hot

I thought I better check in, although it’s difficult.

Home Om continues on Kemmyrk, thank goodness.

The Situation lifted its hissing hydra-like head again in full nastiness. In other words, everything’s gone to shit again, due to the greed of a few individuals. I find myself (in addition to throwing up from the sheer upset of it all) alternating between raging fury and bone-crushing depression.

Now that I’ve indulged myself in that for a few days, I need to pull it together and not repeat the patterns from the past eight months. When necessary, I need to strike quickly and take no prisoners. I am not losing another eight months of my life in constant pain and suffering due to the greed of a few individuals. If they are going to break the law and cause pain, they will have to pay for it.

Very little writing has gotten done.

Tuesday I spent at the show, during the day, and things are tense there, because of what’s been going on. Yesterday was mostly lost to errands. I tried to work on the articles today that are due next week, but The Situation kept interfering and finally, I had to draw a line.

So, now, I need to regroup and then sit my butt back down in the chair like a professional and get my work done.

I have several short stories bursting to get out, and I had to make some notes yesterday. One is a very odd fantasy/mystery/adventure/caper thing. If the lead character doesn’t shut up soon, I’m going to have to write a scene where she’s gagged, so I can get some peace.

Over on the Dog Blog, here, this week’s exercise is inspired by a painting.

I read Elizabeth Buchan’s Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman which was cleverer than I expected, with some lovely writing. However, as too many books in the genre do, the ending was far too abrupt. I wanted to know what would happen next, even if none of us where sure of the conclusion.

February House is fascinating, but I can only read it in short spurts.

I saw the repeat of the premiere of Eureka, and then the second episode. It’s quite clever and I enjoy it, although, both times, I got ahead of the script and got a bit impatient waiting for it to catch up. I’m wondering if perhaps they tipped their hand a bit too far towards the end of the premiere, but we’ll see how it unfolds. The throw-away lines are truly priceless, and I like the cast, although two of the women are too physically similar in my opinion – the hairstyles, at least, should have differentiated them more. But then, perhaps that will feed into the plot at some point.

I am angry at the jury for declaring Andrea Yates “not guilty by reason of insanity.” If anything, she was “guilty by reason of insanity.” What the jury has done is condone the fact that she drowned her five children. Whether she was sane or not, whether she suffered from post-partum depression or not DOES NOT GIVE HER THE RIGHT TO MURDER HER CHILDREN. Should she get help for her mental state? Absolutely. There is no question she is mentally ill and should be treated. But to condone her act is despicable and is an enormous miscarriage of justice. In addition to treating her, they must make sure that she never has children again, nor allow her around children without proper supervision. It is vital to make sure that she does not have the opportunity to do this again. No one else should die because she is crazy. No one should have died in the first place. I’m sure plenty of people will say that the court does not have the right to prevent her from having children in the future, if and when she is rehabilitated. I say she forfeited that right when she murdered her own FIVE. She deserves some measure of compassion, but not enough to allow her to commit murder in the future, in yet another fit of religious frenzy or whatever excuse her lawyers come up with next time.

Devon

2 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger Diana said...

Argh!! I am SO sorry about The Situation (again!!). I really hope this whole thing will just die - soon!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Tenille said...

Devon,

I'm so sorry this thing won't go away. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts.

The Andrea Yate's verdict, sickens me. I couldn't even watch anything that had anything to do with it. Sick, sick, sick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home