Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Tuesday, July 18, 2006
Waning Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Disgustingly hot and humid

Day 9 of Home Om over on Kemmryk.

Productive day yesterday, although not in the way I expected. More interview questions, dealing with emails and making arrangements for other things happening this week.

I hate this heat. I am just not a tropical girl. I’m much more of a polar bunny. (Yes, the zoological mix was intentional).

The temperature hit triple digits. Trains lost power (nothing like being stranded on a subway line, right? Glad I wasn’t in town today). Even roads buckled. Keep your fingers crossed I don’t get caught in a train power outage or any other sort of outage trying to travel in and out of the city today and tomorrow. With Mercury Retrograde and the mercury rising . . .

I spent most of the day working on the Casherick Drualtys notes. I turned the place upside down looking for the original notes, and I can’t find them anywhere. Too many files are missing from this apartment for me not to believe that there wasn’t some sort of illegal entry during The Situation. The only thing that worries me is character names – the rest I can recreate, but did these intricate name and class lists and class schedules for the characters, and I hate to lose them. The arc of the series I remember, so I wrote it down (again) and I did the outline for the second book in the series, which I think will be called Jioleagh. It is a word I could never get away with using as a book title its English translation (except in a particular market to which these books do not pertain), but in Manx, it sounds pretty darned good. The outline is seven pages long, and will need to be filled in a bit more as I work on revisions for Shallid. Also, I may have to plant something in Shallid that is further explored in Jioleagh.

By the time I go to contract on the series (and I will, although I don’t yet know where), I want to have first drafts of the first three books in the series complete.

Six and a half pages on Real. Not as much as I’d like, but better than nothing. And it was my goal for the day, to keep on schedule and finish this draft by the end of the month. Sam and Callie spent some time in Montana. Now, Sam’s back in LA, and Callie’s off to London. Yes, the massive travel is important to the plot.

I am not looking forward to losing two full days to the show. But, such is life, and I have to steal time whenever possible for my writing.

JA Konrath should be around later this week – hopefully we can get together and I can buy him a meal.

I read Murder at Bertram’s Bower by Cynthia Peale. I liked it a lot – an historical mystery set in Boston. I want to read the other books in the series. I also want to read the other books she’s written under her other name – Nancy Zaroulis. I can’t find a website for her, but I plan to drop her a note to tell her how much I enjoyed the book, and how much I look forward to reading her other work – always nice to find someone else who uses and understands pseudonyms!

Four lovely new cookbooks arrived:

At The Japanese Table by Lesley Downer
Japan: A Cookbook by Haruyo Kataoka and Friderun Kohnen
The Victorian Cookbook by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson
Sage Cottage Herb Garden Cookbook by Dorry Baird Norris

The Victorian Cookbook is filled with the details of table settings, protocols, cutlery, etc. of the era – and, oh joy of joys! – has the details of a dinner for 160 held at Alnwick Castle in Northumberland! Alnwick is one of my favorite places on the planet.

Not only will all the cookbooks provide me with plenty of wonderful recipes, there will be hours of reading pleasure involved, and plenty of information I can use in my writing.

Oh, and I must admit it – I wrote two and a half pages of Jioleagh. So much for not starting another project.

Devon



Real – first draft – 77,250 words out of 100,000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
77 / 100
(77.0%)



Jioleagh – 625 words out of est. 82,000

(I discovered that, below the 1,000 word mark, the Word Meter does not work).

4 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger Colin said...

Rather worrying post. The heat you guys are getting sounds worse than us. Nightmare. Hope there's no problems.

As for your suspicions about a break-in. Maybe a change of locks, including one mortar lock and is there locks on the windows?

Stay safe.

Col

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Tenille said...

Here's hoping you don't get trapped in this heat.

I am in the South and it's horrifying. I stay in doors as much as possible.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Ann said...

That break in sounds downright scary. I would like to ditto Colin's suggestions.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Sandy J said...

I love cookbooks also! Don't want to cook very much right now with us having heat in the triple digits also...but I am actually at a place in my life where I don't want to cook even if it is 35 degrees outside. Too many other things to do. But I DO like to read cookbooks.

Sorry for the possiblity of the break-in. My mom suspected it in her retirement apartment and we set up a video camera and caught the person. It was the manager! Needless to say she got fired.

I heard LaGuardia had a power outage today!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home