Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Waning Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Cloudy, steamy, hot

Click over to Kemmyrk for Day Three of Home Om.

Visit The Scruffy Dog Review Blog for my musings about diaries and journals, and list of my favorite books about writing diaries and journals.

Not much to say. I’m angry and resentful that The Situation is rearing up again. Some new personnel entering the picture, but basically, we’re going to have to go through the same crap again. Guess what? I’m not going to allow it. I’m also not going to get caught up in this web again, just when I was starting to put my life back and make plans for the future. Isn’t growth about breaking patterns? I’m striking with a metaphorical sword – and I mean a claymore, not a foil – and then going on my way.

Yesterday seemed interminable. The heat and humidity were so intense that it was almost impossible to get from the station to the theatre. Every block to block and a half, I had to duck in to an air conditioned store for a bit to recover.

There are several people on the show who have been there too long and just need to go. Stop lashing out at other people because you’re too cowardly to take a risk in your own life already. You’re doing worse than annoying me – you’re boring me.

And, of course, there are people that are always delightful to see. Artie, you know who you are!

Blackbird House (Alice Hoffman) is such a difficult book. The writing is beautiful and brilliant, but I struggle with the characters. I can’t condone their intentional infliction of harm, and I don’t empathize or sympathize with most of them. We have to stop saying it’s okay to continue the cycle, simply because the abuser was abused. Definitely help, but don’t enable the abuser to continue the cycle. When a mother murders her five children, to say she is “not guilty by reason of insanity” is a misnomer. She committed the act, whether insane or not. Of course she’s insane. You don’t murder children if you’re sane. “Guilty by reason of insanity” is a much more accurate description. By saying she’s “not guilty” and “not responsible” for those actions, society is, in a way, saying it’s okay to perform this act. And, in my opinion, it is not.

I’ve interspersed reading Blackbird House with reading Wrapt in Crystal by Sharon Shinn. What an excellent book! She captures the characters magnificently. And she’s built a world that’s familiar enough to us that when she deviates, it shakes us up in the way she wants to. Very, very well done, and someone whose work I will seek out in the future.

Show was fine. I had the understudy again, instead of the principal. I’m going to start getting a complex if she calls out again next week, but hey, it’s much easier this way. The track simply does not make sense to me – my thought patterns are different than the person who runs the track every day, and I have trouble aligning my thinking to fit the track.

My To-Do list today is far too long, but I need to get everything on it done. I have stories swirling in my head – I feel an explosion of short stories coming on, many of them inspired by this past weekend’s trip. And they have to remain short stories – I have enough novel stuff with which to deal – no more novel ideas allowed until next year! I also have a stack of correspondence to get out, press stuff, and I’m determined to fight my way into the 13 Journals account and get it sorted out, once and for all, this week.

Off to get some work done.

Devon

1 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

well I'm glad you can get your muses to cooperate on the "no more novel ideas this year". Mine won't cooperate with anything.

The heat here is unbearable - humidity makes the heat index above 100.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home