Saturday, August 12, 2006

August 12 Part II


I stayed up far too long into the night on this morning, trying to sort out the problems in the computer. I’m pretty sure it’s not just my own technological challenges – I think there are some serious problems in this system, and I have to get someone in to sort it out. The computer rearranges files to suit it, not putting things where I want them, and decides not to recognize a variety of programs. I’m sorry, but this damn MACHINE has no right to make these decisions. It is supposed to be working for me, not the other way around.

I also think a lot of crap has found its way in here, and I want the crap removed. That’s probably one of the reasons it refuses to acknowledge important programs, and the list of those programs gets longer and longer.

There’s no point in me spending the money on a NitroPDF or going all the way to Adobe when the basics aren’t working. Because I would go postal if I spent that large chunk of change on Adobe and then the computer refused to admit it was installed.

I need to get up the websites as quickly as possible, and in a way so that I can update the content as needed. The DE site will need to be updated probably weekly, or, at the very least, monthly. I can’t grow my business without the websites up and the computer working properly.

Needless to say, I am cranky and in a MOOD (because computer problems always enrage me). One of the reason I get so enraged is that I am convinced that the problems are created by the manufacturer (in this case, Microsoft) so they can make more money off the consumers.

I took down the rant I posted just after midnight Saturday, because not only was it pointless to spew all over everyone else, it was badly written. And we can’t have that.

So I posted cat pictures instead.

I’ve downloaded several templates that I like very much for both the additional sites and the subdomains. The tech problems need to be sorted first, then the DE site uploaded, then the Fearless Ink site coded and uploaded, then the Cerridwen’s Cottage site coded and uploaded, and THEN we can start worrying about subdomains. And then, we’ll worry about logos.

If I say so myself, some of my subdomains are a bit clever (in the fun way, not the mean way), and I think you all will enjoy them, once they ever get up there.

I was tempted to just start a temporary site on Tripod or something with easy templates, but let’s face it, that’s really just putting a band aid on an amputation. Let’s solve the actual problem and do it right the first time.

I spent several hours working on Circadian Poems submissions for fall. Granted, I had to wade through over 600 pieces of spam – so much for my web host’s “enhanced” spam filter – it sucks. And, you can’t dump your entire folder of trash and/or spam. You have to hand-delete in groups of ten, which is such a waste of time, especially considering the host lets literally thousands of pieces of spam through.

And, of course, the stupid Microsoft Word has “run time” errors every five minutes or less. I should be able to actively work on documents for more than five minutes at a time. I am ready to chop this machine into little pieces and make Bill Gates eat them. The fact that he is so obscenely wealthy from creating systems built to self-destruct pisses me off.

But the poems themselves are beautiful and exciting, and I’m eager for Circadian to start up again.

If you want to submit a poem, article, or essay, check out the guidelines here. Submissions are ongoing.

I read my material on “Ris an Abrar” in preparation for BIAW. I’m pushing the limits of my comfort zone with this piece, and that’s a good thing. Can’t get stuck doing the same thing over and over, now, can we?

I have to go get my hair cut and then I’ll attempt to tackle three more short articles, work on the larger article, and get some work done on Real.

3 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

*hugs* I hate computer problems. I finally got so disgusted with my PC and the never-ending Blue Screens of Death, I switched to a Mac iBook about five years ago. Love it!!! I've had occasional problems, but nothing like with my PCs.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Boy, good luck with that computer mess! Sounds miserable!
And enjoyed and agreed with the previous entries! (I've been off the internet about a week)

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Oh my goodness!
I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading your post.

Like you, I hate computer problems but your possible solutions and your targets of ire just tickled my funny bone.

I hope things work out for you.

I thought that your comment about erasing everything and just putting up cats was darned funny.
Not like you were still being "catty", eh?

Hang in there! Or hang your computer ... if it would help.*grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home