Sunday, August 13, 2006

August 13 Part II

There’s a play waiting to be born.

As I read the NYT Arts & Leisure section this morning, the first line, the last line, and the characters appeared. It’s not quite ready to be written yet, but it will be. Soon.

Those of you familiar with my process knows what that means. I have to write plays straight through, without interruption. Everything else goes to hell without the hand basket. It doesn’t matter what I “have to” do. When it comes to plays, once the Furies land, I’m possessed.

I was going to work on “Ris An Abrar” for BIAW over on Villa inTuscany, but I think it might be the play.

I can’t ignore the articles. They must be finished.

But I can feel the play forming in my soul.

And, if I don’t give myself over to it completely when it’s ready, I’ll lose it. The play, I mean. Not sure about the soul.

The play is the only format that demands this type of dedication from me. It’s usually worth it in the long run, but boy, oh boy, what a toll in the short run.

5 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Good luck with the play!

:o)

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Bebe Thomas said...

I know how you feel! That's why I'm psyched for the BIAW - I am the same way about fiction.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

Yes, I know how you feel. I'm the same way about 'some' of my fiction. Good luck with that play!

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I wish I could get that urge to complete something from start to finish asap. Good luck with it.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger ivan said...

I have tried writing plays, but don't think they're my medium.

One group of playwrights in Mexico suggested a skit I wrote should be put on during the intermission!

The novel's the thing?

Seems to me,anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home