Monday, August 21, 2006

Monday, August 21, 2006
Waning Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Hazy and humid


I ran into a glitch with Julia’s Legacy. I’ve got the basics down, here in the first draft, but there’s no big dramatic conflagration before the end. I don’t want it to be overly dramatic – they’re spending most of their time discerning the mind games from the direct responses. But I need to raise the stakes of two of the four characters. One character already has those high stakes, but it’s not being dealt with clearly in the play. And the fourth character is very clear about her high stakes.

I’ll have my work cut out for me in the rewrite.

The article typing went much more slowly than expected and was frustrating. Especially since I caught myself in bad early draft habit – mostly using the passive too often. I hate reading passive passages, so I don’t understand why, in early drafts, I keep writing them. Urgh.

But all 25 short articles were typed, revised, and sent out. One of the long ones was also revised and sent out. I asked for a few days’ extension on the other big article because I’m still waiting for some interview answers to come in that I think will be really cool. But I promised to send it by the end of this week no matter what. I can finish it in CT. I definitely have enough material for it, but I want that one extra bit.

Once that article is out, later this week, I can focus completely on Real and on “Ris an Abrar.” I need to get the latter’s first draft done so I can do a few revisions before its October 1 deadline, and then I want to spend a good bit of October on “The Merry’s Dalliance”, since that is due in January, and November will be taken up with Nano.

Plus, in the best of all possible worlds, I’ll finish the first draft of The Fix-It Girl, last year’s Nano, before I start this year’s Nano.

I’m still struggling with whether or not to do Nano this year. The downside is that it’s purely about quantity. On the one hand, I know that’s useful. On the other hand, I think it is more useful for people who don’t have writing as their priority. It’s a way to shake people out of their excuses. Writing IS my priority, and I do live a writing life, so using November to make it a priority is not a stretch for me. But I do like the community of writers, for the most part, and it’s a good excuse to meet writers from all over the world and hang out with whomever is doing Nano locally.

I haven’t slept well for the past few nights, so the exhaustion is catching up. I have to be energetic and cheerful and busy for the next few days, but I ought to be able to relax and do things like sleep in during the second half of the week in CT.

A passel of errands, and then I hit the road. For once, I didn’t leave before 6 AM – I’m leaving later in the morning, and motoring upstate at a leisurely pace. Today is a play day, whereas tomorrow, I’ll have to literally roll up my sleeves and get to work, setting up the benefit.

I’m offline for a few days. Will catch up with everyone soon!

Devon

11 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Here's to a safe, fun, relaxing trip!! And remember - we have a play date coming up. :))

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

I hope you have a great trip!

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Lara said...

HAVE FUN!!!

(*sob* I am going to not have internet for a few days myself!)

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

You're being wonderfully productive as usual! :-) I tried Nano a few times, but could never quite get it to work.

Have a great trip!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Enjoy yourself! d:)

 
At 4:15 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

Hope you have a great trip and have lots of fun!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Have a wonderful time!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

Wondered where you were.

Have fun on your trip. I hope the revisions go well and you get those answers for the article soon.

Have a safe trip.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Siobhan said...

I'm back from my trip to wish you fun on yours! Also best of luck with the writing. Like Melissa, I'm impressed by your productivity and shall look on you as a role model as I buckle down and get on with my WIP. :-)

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

passel

Lovely sounding word!

:o)

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Sandy J said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip! I am probably not doing Nano this year because of the new full time job. :-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home