Monday, August 28, 2006

Monday, August 28, 2006
Waxing Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Rainy and vile


Yesterday was a day of battling the blues. And for no good reason. Just a yelch day.

A writer friend of mine says he believes I’m having the equivalent of “growing pains”. My writing is about to make a leap, and I’m having the discomfort that goes with it. I just hope he’s right. Because I really don’t want to feel like this for long.

Started to read Alan Bennett’s Writing Home, which is fascinating, and continue to read Dawn Powell’s diaries. Also started Calvin Trillin’s Feeding a Yen, which had me laughing out loud.

Typed Chapter 12 of Shallid, which is probably my favorite chapter in the book. Upset because I lost the link to the online Manx dictionary in the “computer repair” and can’t track it down again. So much for a paperless office. I found something that will do, for now.

Found out that Strand shipped a bunch of books I’d ordered but assumed they wouldn’t have. I’ll be glad to have them, but it made me laugh – I couldn’t get some of the ones I longed for, and these – which I do want and need, but gave up on – should arrive tomorrow.

Today needs to be productive with things like laundry, getting more cat food in for the automatic feeders, etc. – but I had an idea on Real late last night that I think will break me out of the corner into which I’ve written myself. So I’m eager to get back to the page.

Skipped the Emmy party I was supposed to attend last night. I just didn’t feel like it. Wrapped up in bed instead. The show itself was so boring I kept switching channels. I ended up watching a chunk of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, which I’d never seen before. Can I just say that it includes some of the worst acting I’ve ever seen in my life? And I’ve worked off-off-off-off-off Broadway, so I’ve seen plenty of bad acting. The writing was mediocre, but not terrible, but I think they made some major casting mistakes. Natalie Portman pulled it off, and Ewan MacGregor got away with some of it – he commits to whatever he’s doing – but the rest of them? I couldn’t believe a production with that much muscle behind it could fall so short. I could even predict the fight choreography (now, he’s going to turn over and throw the chains over that one’s neck . . .). Big disappointment.

Eventually, I just shut off the TV and went back to Feeding a Yen, which made me laugh all over again.

Now – to work. Got annoyed by yet another set of newbies on a forum going on about how they only write when “they feel like it”. Glad you’ve got a nice little hobby there, kids. I don’t have that luxury. I need to make the time, because I’m a professional, and I’m going to show up at the page whether I want to or not. Fortunately, on most days, I want to, even if I think I don’t in the moment. But that doesn’t always mean it’s easy.

Devon


Shalld -- 30,060 words out of 82, 000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
30 / 82
(36.6%)

11 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Sometimes it is hard to "want" to write, but then I find once I start reading where I left off, making minor edits, it gets me going again.

I spent a large amount of time this weekend doing the first round of edits for Book 1 of Ransom & Fortune and it made me want to write another book for them.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

I guess it was a "bluesy" weekend. I didn't watch the Emmy's (up with mom), but I taped it because I wanted to see Dick Clark, so I'll watch it later. Since I didn't get a nap, I cleaned house instead. I'm now in the middle of a huge project (one of those now that I've started I have to finish things. Yikes!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Hang in - you've sure had your share of "stuff" lately!
(I watched about two minutes of the Emmys - BORING!)

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Siobhan said...

You're right - it isn't easy at all and you HAVE to be professional about writing if you want to succeed. I managed a couple of hours this morning (it's 5 p.m. in the UK). But I'll try and get back to it when I've done a bit of blog visiting.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

No Emmy watching for me - t.v. is pretty much restricted to DVD's since we don't have cable and don't want it, either. (Well, ok, I'd love to have Turner Classic Movies and the History Channel).

I had a down weekend, too - not so much emotional, but just physical. I just wanted to do nothing but relax and veg out.

And you're right - if you want to be a professional writer, you can't write "when you feel like it."

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Zinnia said...

I have to agree with you about newbies, lol. Trust me, I've seen this on a couple of my forums too.

Hope the blues go away for you.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Zinnia said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today!

I never thought of writing to politicians during PMS time. However, if I did that, I'd probably end up in prison, lol...

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Steve G said...

Life can be a pain in the ass at times, but weather in Germany tops it all. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Duke_of_Earle said...

Devon,

Thanks for the visit and comment. Now you not only have heard of nutri, you also know what they look like. Blogging can be SO educational!

John

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

>> Got annoyed by yet another set of newbies on a forum going on about how they only write when “they feel like it”. Glad you’ve got a nice little hobby there, kids. I don’t have that luxury. I need to make the time, because I’m a professional, and I’m going to show up at the page whether I want to or not. Fortunately, on most days, I want to, even if I think I don’t in the moment. But that doesn’t always mean it’s easy.

God, do I hear you! No matter what, we have to do something writing-related every day. It's not just commitment; it's borderline obsession. Hey -- we write stuff up for a living. We have to be obsessed. :-)

Chocolate helps me out of my blues. Or, at least, it makes the blues more bearable. ;-)

Thanks again for the ginger tea and cookies suggestion -- I'm going to give those a shot tonight.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Anita said...

Sounds like those newbies need the kind of advice you gave me once, that in order to be a real writer, a professional writer, you have to write every day, whether you feel like it or not.

It was the best advice I've ever gotten, and I say it over to myself every single day, especially the days I don't feel like writing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home