Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sunday, August 13, 2006
Waning Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Cool and pleasant

Today is the first anniversary of Kemmyrk, so there’s a little commemorative ditty up over there.

I want to congratulate my friend and colleague, Kristen King. She’s a finalist in the Writer’s Digest Best Writer’s Website Contest (p. 57 of the October issue). Woo-hoo!

And congrats to my friend Michelle Miles for a nice royalty check from Samhain Publishing – you’ve earned it, my friend!

I miss being in Edinburgh for the Festival Fringe. I was there twice, both times with shows I’d written. It was difficult, frustrating, exhilarating, overwhelming and wonderful all at once. I met many wonderful people and some people I’m glad never to see again.

The two shows so far I’d like to see the most of this year’s crop are called Crunch! (http://www.tangramtheatre.co.uk/)
and Radio (http://www.kandinsky-online.com/). Kandinsky also has a blog, here:
http://www.kandinskycorp.blogspot.com/

There’s also a show called Potted Potter: The Unofficial Harry Experience where a pair of storytellers perform all six books in 60 minutes. Sort of like Tom Stoppard’s The Fifteen Minute Hamlet with the 1 minute encore (which, by the way, if you’ve never seen it, is an hysterically funny play – hey, it is Stoppard).

Since I can’t be at the Fringe, I’m re-reading Colin Galbraith’s wonderful poems about the book, Fringe Fantastic. If you don’t already own a copy, I suggest you order one. It’s a wonderful book.

I miss the camaraderie at The Last Drop and at the Oxford Bar. One thing I love about the Fringe is you end up going out with your audience half the time and discussing the work in depth, then going to see whatever they’re working on, and so on, and so on, and so on.

I’m sentimental about plays right now because it’s Fringe time AND Chaz is working on a play. So now I’m all wistful and want to get back to working on plays. However, everything I have to say right now is not being said in script format, but in prose.

I keep meaning to mention that “Lady” was rejected by The Barcelona Review, but with a request to submit something else. Now I just have to figure out what. I also have to get something off to Grit – now is generally when they look at submissions for the upcoming year.

Made a list of all the problems in the computer. So far, it’s a full page, single spaced. And I’m nowhere near done.

I’ll be calling Geek Squad first thing on Monday to set up an appointment for later in the week.

I did some subdomain work and even sketched out a couple of logos. One will work as is – if Geek Squad can get my scanner to work, I can scan it in and go from there. The other needs a bit of embellishment. I might see if my artist friend Barbara (who will have her own photography page on the DE site) might help me with it.

I started work on the penguin story. I realized how little I actually know about penguins, penguin care, penguin transport, etc. I’ve got an encyclopedia, and an Audobon Nature Encyclopedia, which should help. But, since there doesn’t seem to be a Penguins for Dummies out, I am going to have to ask the Central Park Zoo a bunch of questions. They’re going to think I’m completely crazy, but hey, it won’t be the first time.

Anyone know anything about farm equipment? I need to do some research (for the penguin story, believe it or not), on farm equipment. I probably should just email John Deere or something.

I’m looking for the name of the thingy that looks like it’s pulled by a tractor-type cab, but it’s a long, flattish truck bed in the back, usually with a low red railing around the edges.

Hey, I’m a city girl – I used to live in apartment over a strip club a block off of Times Square. Farm equipment isn’t my forte!

And I’ve set the penguin story in upstate New York rather than Texas, where it actually happened. And I don’t want to squish any of my fictional penguins. I know, they’re fictional, they won’t be hurt and it would be good for dramatic effect, but . . .I don’t wanna!

Wrote Wednesday’s column for the Dog blog. I’m going to start series of Sensory Exercises. They should be quite entertaining, especially since participants work on two sets of stories for the duration.

Worked on the story about the painting, the thrift shop, and the stray dog. I have to make a call over to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and find out which paint can be layered over oil paint to cover a painting. I don’t want it to be another layer of oil because of the way I want the layering discovered.

They’re used to me asking odd questions, too.

Got a few pages done on Real, but not as much as I wanted. Sam and Callie are back in Scotland for a quick weekend, before the next obstacle is thrown in their path.

I spoke to my grandmother this morning; she sounded confused and depressed. I have to track down another family member this evening and find out what the heck is going on.

Devon


Real -- 88,500 words out of est. 100,000

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
88 / 100
(88.0%)

5 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

The Harry Experience sort of sounds like 60 Second Shakespeare (or something like that...). It's pretty hysterical. :)

*hugs* on the rejection and the continued computer problems.

I am going to have to ask the Central Park Zoo a bunch of questions. They’re going to think I’m completely crazy,

Just tell them you're writing a book/story about penguins. They'll probably be thrilled to help. :)

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Kristen King said...

Thanks for the kudos, Devon! I'm over the moon about it myself. :]

Kristen

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Costume Imp said...

I'm going to admit this in writing. I grew up on the farm D. The only thing I can think of right off the top of my head is a 'flatbed wagon.' Call me if that isn't what your looking for and I'll let you pick what's left of my brain after this week!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Lara said...

I bet if you Google "Penguins" you would be able to find out anything you need. I LOVE Google!

:-)

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Al said...

Hi Devon,

Thanks for picking "Radio" out of the ever-growing pile of fringe shows - it's going great and the team are delighted with the response from punters and critics alike.

All the best,

Al

 

Post a Comment

<< Home