Thursday, August 03, 2006

Thursday, August 3, 2006
Waxing Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Beastly hot


It’s like fucking herding cats. Only not as funny as the video.

(Okay, looking back on the above – what a BAAAADD sentence. I am not “fucking” cats that are herding . . something. Nor am I herding cats in the midst of . . .you know. Nor does any arrangement of the words have anything to do with sex. I am merely annoyed and lazily used the expletive instead of searching for my exact shade of meaning – which would be a whole lot meaner, let me tell you. But more exact. My apologies to the Language Muse. I will pay the appropriate penance at your shrine).

It does not take six days to write a letter, incorporating comments. It should take 48 hours or less, except for the procrastinators. Especially when strict boundaries were set at the get-go. This is a time-sensitive piece of work I’m doing for them. I made it very clear that my window to work on it (it’s pro bono) closed at 8 PM last night, and no further work would or could be done on it by me until after Labor Day. They don’t believe this boundary? They’ll learn – fast. Because I’m not doing one more consonant (or vowel) on it.

That project took up most of yesterday, along with grocery shopping and finishing up another article.

M.E. Ellis quoted one of my rants on her blog, Nutter’s Gang, in yesterday’s post. I’m honored!

She also had a quote on her blog that hit me so squarely and so importantly:

“Fear is a thief”

Eight months were lost due to a group of greedy bastards playing on our most basic fears. It will NOT happen again.

And simply seeing those words on her blog unlocked something for me – the fury and tension that built all day suddenly released. And I started feeling more human again.

“Fear is a thief”

I may have to carve it into an amulet and wear it.

I’m very unhappy with one deadlined article I sent off yesterday -- I took a risk, and I don’t think it worked. I hope that my editor can help me fix it. If it’s at all fixable.

However, the Literary Athlete column – I am VERY happy with the work on that, mostly because of the quotes provided by the authors I interviewed. I need to finish it, and rearrange some of the paragraphs to make it flow more easily, but the information contained is excellent. And I ended up with two sidebars, not one. I will present it all to my editor early next week and hope we can find a way not to cut too much out. Or, if we cut words, let them be mostly mine, leaving the wonderfully inspiring quotes from the authors intact!

I couldn’t sleep last night at all, so I’m starting a new job in the heat with zero rest. Not a good thing.

I start the new television series today, and I plan on being ferocious with my downtime. It is for writing. Not for cleaning up other people’s messes. It is for writing. Let them take some responsibility for a change. Oh, and hope that the people I work with are great instead of awful.

Although, I decided that, if I hate the situation, bucks or no bucks – I’m not going to stay.

Hold a good thought that the power doesn’t go out while I’m traveling, so I can to and fro in peace.

Day 25 of Home Om on Kemmyrk.

Devon

4 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Blogger Tenille said...

Wow, you had to get an early start! Hope all goes well on the set today!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Good luck on set!
And my power went out here...so you should be fine!
:-)

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Glad you're feeling better! And I like the part about making those obnoxious people take care of their own lives - way to go!

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Hocus Pocus said...

Obnoxious people should be banished!!!! I can do that, you know. Tell me where to point my wand and I've got your back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home