Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Waning Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Rainy and warm


If you haven’t visited this site to help out a fellow writer in trouble, please do so. Time is running out for him:

http://www.ejknapp.com/1500.htm

It’s important for us to take care of our own. Any one of us at any time could be the one who needs help.

I bought another handful of stories yesterday. Now I’ve spent the same on stories as I have on shoes, which assuages my conscience.

Yesterday’s writing haul:

6 short articles, bringing the total to 12 of the needed 25 by Sept. 1 (Aug. 20).

Just over 3 pages on one of the big articles due Sept. 1 (Aug. 20). It needs to be about 8 pages, so I’ll probably write 10 and then cut.

Typed Chapter 11 of Shallid. The first of the three notebooks containing the longhand first draft has been typed. This middle notebook has the messy part – I put in lots of “placeholders” where I sketched ideas instead of fully realized them. Instead of merely typing draft 1A, I may have to put in some fixes.

Another realization is that I need to start a Cheat Sheet to keep track of everyone, since many of these characters will be in all 13 books. And soon I need to write down all these character arcs, instead of thinking I can hold them all in my head indefinitely.

A few pages on Real. We’re getting there. Callie’s got post-traumatic stress disorder. Although Sam’s hopped to London to be with her, Crispin’s the one who’s around the most, and making himself indispensable. Crispin also made a decision that surprised me – one that came from genuine fairness and concern, not just his own agenda.

This man is going to have to get a book of his own at some point.

Did some work on the website buttons, but didn’t finish them. I’m confusing myself. I think I’m thinking too much. I need to do more with the physical maneuvering and then figure out how I did it. I’m so afraid I’ll forget how to do stuff that I stop to take notes and then I can’t remember what I’m trying to do.

Started Scene II of the first act of Julia’s Legacy. Ten more pages, until I couldn’t hold the pen or see straight any more last night. Got up early this morning and wrote another 8 pages on Scene 2, completing it. It’s the scene that will need the most work in the rewrites.

I’m not taking the play with me to work on on the train because of the weather, and the fact I know I won’t have uninterrupted time and it will frustrate me. I just have to hold tight until I get back tonight and try to tackle scene 3. That will finish the first act. I only plan to have two scenes in the second act.

I had to drive out to CT to orient for the job I’ll do out there the second half of next week. Should be fine, with plenty of time and room to get writing done while I’m there.

If one more wanna-be writer whines about “not having time to write”, I’m going to slap him/her silly. We all have the same amount of time. Twenty-four hours in each day. It’s how we choose to use it. It’s not that you don’t “have time” to write – you’ve chosen not to use the time in your day to write. There’s nothing wrong with that, but stop whining about it. You’re free to make choices in your life. If you really wanted to write, you would carve out fifteen to thirty minutes in your day as a start and write, whether it’s waiting in the car for the kids, or locking yourself in the bathroom or the potting shed, or giving up some stupid reality television show. Learn to manage your time, take responsibility for your choices, and stop whining.

Of course, there’s the colleague who says, “Who cares about those morons, anyway? Less competition for publication for us.”

Not sure I agree with that entirely, but it’s a different point of view. And I am heartily sick of those who lack time management skills, but blame those around them because they can’t get it together. Everyone’s got the right to make the choices best suited to one’s own life. But don’t blame someone else for your choices.

If you hate your life so much, change it.

Off to the theatre.

Devon

Real -- 91,375 words out of est. 100,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
91 / 100
(91.0%)


Shallid – 27,019 words out of 82,000
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
27 / 82
(32.9%)


Julia’s Legacy – 18 pages, finishing Act I, Scene 2. Total pages: 46.

12 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger Diane said...

That's the one thing my students continually used to say that continually annoyed me: "But how do you find the time?" The same way you find time to watch telly, read a book, play a game, go shopping, have a day job, go to night school, do homework, sleep in, etc, etc. i.e. If you want to do it badly enough, you make/find the time. Easy.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Devon, it's funny you should mention that about having the same 24 hours in a day. I posted that same quote over on Day 2 BIAW at Villa. You're right - we have time to right - we just have to make different choices.

You are a writing MACHINE!!!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Lara said...

You are my Inspiration, D!

:-)

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Tori Lennox said...

Another realization is that I need to start a Cheat Sheet to keep track of everyone,

I've started doing this for people and locations. It really helps (provided you remember to add people to the list *g*).

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Devon, you are so productive; I wouldn't want to get between you and a piece of paper! d:))

And as for those wannabes who whine about not having the time to write--they're right; they don't.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

If one more wanna-be writer whines about “not having time to write”, I’m going to slap him/her silly. We all have the same amount of time. Twenty-four hours in each day. It’s how we choose to use it.

Exactly my point.

Having a schedule helps. I started mine again yesterday and wrote 3K.

Found time when I made myself a rota.

:o)

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

“Everyone’s got the right to make the choices best suited to one’s own life. But don’t blame someone else for your choices.”

Well said, Devon. :-) The worst enemy we have is often ourselves--and one of the most valuable treasures we have is the power of choice. It’s up to us to use it wisely.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! :-D

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger B. K. Birch said...

I couldn't have said it better myself! Ummm you weren't talking about me were you? Just kidding!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

OooO! I love your new shoes. :)

I have a secret, but you have to promise not to tell... during the work day, I open my WIP and leave it open and when I can steal a few minutes, I write a sentence or two. And then at lunch, I usually write the whole hour. But SHHH! don't tell! Oh, crap, I can't do this anon, can I? ;)

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

I did a spreadsheet type thing with my characters with headings like job description so in case I need a police officer (small town) I know exactly who it is, and so forth. Cheat sheets are great.

You're right - I could skip my afternoon nap and write.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

Oh, and I meant to tell you thank you for the link the other day - I went over and bought a couple myself. I hope everything works out for him.

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

Well said, Devon. I used to be a tutor and the "oh, I haven't had time to write because our neighbour's second cousin's daughter's pet hamster died last month...", used to drive me insane.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home