Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Waning Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and pleasant


It was one of those days, yesterday, filled with errands, so, of course, it was pouring with rain. Out to the bank, caught a train for the city, over to pay the phone bill, all the way across the city to pick up the tickets for the Philly trip, back to halfway and uptown to another errand, and finally to the theatre.

Work was fine; caught up with people, listened to a friend’s pitch she’s honing for a new project, etc., etc.

But I was glad to get back home.

I’m all packed for the various trips these next two weeks: each trip has its own suitcase. The only things that have to shift from case to case are some shoes. I always have a toiletry bag packed, and that will migrate, too. I end up taking more clothes for half a week in Saratoga than for three weeks in Europe because I have to change clothes so many times per day for all the various activities. Ugh.

But I hate packing the night before, and I won’t have time to pack and repack in between these trips, and I do have a suitcase fetish, so I had the bags in which to pack everything. They’re lined up in the hallway, marked with the destination; all I have to do when I come back is pull the shoe bags and the toiletry bag out, put them in the next bag on the line, update the writing bag, and go back out the door.

The folders for each trip are also almost done – itineraries, tickets, phone numbers, etc., so I don’t have to hunt anything down at the last minute.

The articles due at the end of the month will go out this weekend, before I leave for Saratoga.

The Maine trip today was cancelled at the last minute, which means I have more time to write, and a bigger window to get in the computer people, but I’m taking a day trip instead today for an article I want to write for something else.

Two stories and some bills have to fly through the post office slot on the way to the highway.

The network’s doing a really cool promo campaign for the new show, which will debut in mid-September. If what makes it to the screen is anywhere near as good as the scripts I read, it’s going to be wonderful. Hardest thing I’ve ever worked on in my life, but if the good writing, good acting, and solid production values make it to screen, I’ll be proud of being a part of it.

One of the things I like about this show, and, in general, about shows based in New York, is that the actors cast (most of the time) are very individual – even if they’ve been cast out of LA. There are a bunch of young actors and actresses who flit around in different unmemorable projects out there who are, in my view, interchangeable. Because projects shot in New York tend to use the city as a character, and in New York you find so much uniqueness – walk down the street, and the first twenty people you see will be entirely different from each other – that spills over into production. This show, in particular, has an extremely large cast, with guest star character arcs. They’re so well written an individualized on the page that it gives even a halfway decent actor something to work with. And, so far, all the actors I’ve worked with on the show have been far above “halfway decent.” They’ve been damn good.

Some of the LA Mucky-mucks I’ve talked to, working on these various projects, also feel that crews in NY have a much better attitude than those in LA. They’re much more invested in the particular project. It’s not “just a job” – there’s a sense of commitment to the particular project that they don’t find in many other towns that do production.

I’ve learned an enormous amount from being on these sets that helps my writing. Both in structure of a television project, but also in terms of the business (much of which I don’t like), and how projects are put together.

Worked out some wrinkles in Real and unpuzzled a puzzle for Treasure’s Hunt. It still won’t be outlined tightly enough to be a contender for Nano, but maybe I can write it over the winter. It’s the kind of book that would be fun to write in the middle of a snowstorm. Figured out something or other for something else, but didn’t write it down and forgot it. Had a hell of an idea for Shallid, which would turn it into a controversial book – but it feels right and I just might have to go for it. It might raise the minimum age for its readers – but some of the best books I’ve read haven’t looked down at the younger readers who might be interested; if the topic is handled well and the crazy censors aren’t allowed complete control over individuals’ decisions . . .it would certain take the book to a better level. And, within the world of the book, it would make complete and utter sense and not be weird.

I’ll have to play with it in the rewrites.

This new twist would allow Meurig Fletcher to be his true self. He’d gotten so far from it that I’d named him something else three chapters later without even realizing it. But THIS, this new twist – this is who he is. Hmmm . . . .

Realized I’d missed a big chunk of plot in the scene I worked on yesterday and the day before on Julia’s Legacy. That’s what I get for writing the scene in two sittings instead of one. I’m not sure if I’ll go back and fix it, or if I’ll write the third scene –which niggled at me all day – and then go back before I start Act II.

I slept in longer than I planned today, so I don’t know if I’ll try to do a few pages on the play before I leave, or if I’ll work on the articles. Both need attention today. I want to knock out 6 more short articles, work on the two big articles, and do Scene 3 of the play, finishing Act I.

If you haven’t visited the site to help out a fellow writer, please do:

http://www.ejknapp.com/1500.htm


Devon


PS Hop on over to The Dog Blog – there’s a new exercise. We’re starting a cycle of sensory exercises for the next few weeks.

5 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Blimey - I'm out of puff just reading what you've got coming up. You're very busy. Good for you. I wish I had that energy.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Tenille said...

Have a safe and fun trip, Devon!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Melissa Marsh said...

Wow, Devon. You're just cranking out the words!

I like reading your comments on the television industry - I'm so far removed from all of that (being in Nebraska) that I find it fascinating to read another person's take on it.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Busy!

I don't own enough clothes to have so many cases packed at once.

HA!

:o)

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

I would love to be that organised with my packing. I'm a 'panic the night before' type.
Good luck with it all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home