Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Wednesday, August 2, 2006
Waxing Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Unbelievably hot


Be careful what you wish for. Especially when you blog it!

At the end of yesterday’s post, I mentioned I was off to the theatre and couldn’t wait to turn around and come home. Little did I know how quickly that would happen.

I hadn’t been feeling too well all morning, and took an over-the-counter remedy I figured would get me through the day. Left for the train. Five minutes later, had to come right back because I was too sick.

I’m better today, but still a little shaky. A friend from the theatre told me it’s been going around the show; I probably picked it up when I was in on Friday.

Unfortunately, I’m so sick the trip to Maine had to be postponed.

Now, all these health problems – headache, virus upsets, etc. – are a direct result of the stresses with which I’m dealing. Remove the cause of the stress, and I’ll remove the negative impact on my health. I’m working on it, but it’s taking more time and is more complicated than I would like; in the meantime, the stresses heighten and my health gets worse. Nothing more boring than not only feeling bad all the time, but then discussing it. Still, I was somewhat grateful that calling in sick allowed me to stay home rather than be out in this heat. With the heat index, it was 107 here.

It also meant finishing up some work for the pro bono client (in between lie-downs), and working on my articles. One article, due today, went off early this morning. I want to get the other one out by the end of the day.

My article on Bernardini is up at FemmeFan:

http://www.femmefan.com/site/featuredarticles/Bernadini%20Gains%20Respect.htm

It’s bizarre – I genuinely like working on articles, and am often excited by their content and, in the cases of research, the opportunity to learn something new. However, right now, I want to focus on the fiction, so the articles are an irritant. It’s a test of my professionalism and commitment to myself as a writer to be able to meet the deadlines and do good work, even though I want to be working on fiction. It’s part of not specializing, but cobbling together a career of out diverse bits and pieces.

I’d still rather do it this way than be trapped in an office.

I just have to do a better job of figuring it out.

Check out Day 24 of Home Om – we’re coming into the home stretch, so to speak.

And check out today’s Dog Blog exercise – A name exercise.

I’m reading Katharine and E.B. White: An Affectionate Memoir by Isabel Russell. I find it irritating. There’s so much passive aggression in her anecdotes that sometimes I just want to slap her silly. Say what you mean – don’t pretend to be positive when you’re actually making a snide comment! Don’t call it affection when it’s not. It’s so annoying.

Some new CDs arrived from Northside, with Scandinavian music. I look forward to listening – although, in the interest of conserving electricity tomorrow, I might put on my headphones.

My membership packet arrived from The National Wildlife Federation. I believe in their mission, and by being a member, I can contribute in a small way. I’ve added their site to my personal blog links, above the “Daily Blog Links”.

I’ve also found several more really cool sites to add to my “Daily Blog Links” and will do so shortly.

The brick blasters worked for TWELVE HOURS yesterday. I was nearly climbing out of my skin.

Tough work on one article, but a breakthrough on two others, which is always cheering. This is simply a difficult week – I have to do my best to get through it and move on.

Off to tackle more articles and work on the column. I thought I could write Thursday and Friday, but since I’ll be on set both days, which means I’ll probably lose Saturday as well – today HAS to be DAMNED productive.

And, please, oh, please, let there be time to write a little bit of fiction! I feel fiction-starved at the moment.

Devon

9 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Tenille said...

I hope you feel better soon, Devon. Nothing like summertime illness, ugh.

Oh, and I kept reading the "brick blasters" phrase as "brick bastards!" LOL

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Yes, feel better soon! Do you have noise-blocking headphones? (My hubby has them for plane trips). I highly recommend them.

Good luck getting some fiction in!
:-)

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

Sorry to hear you've been ill, hope you get to feeling better soon. I know exactly about the stress and illness/body issues. Take care.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Take care of yourself. Stress and illness do seem to go hand in hand.

I know what you mean about wanting to get to the fiction. It's like I have to hurry through the work day so I can get home and write. And this novella is going so well, I don't want to stop the momentum.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger M.E Ellis said...

Get well soon!

:o)

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Anita said...

Sorry to hear you're ill. Hope you feel better soon. I can't believe it's that hot up there! Usually I'm the one complaining about my hot, hot southern summer, but you guys beat us by about 10 degrees today! Stay cool and get well.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger B. K. Birch said...

I hope you feel better soon!

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Take care of yourself, Devon! Feel better very soon!

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Sue aka MsCreativity said...

Hi Devon, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

I relate to your ill health/stress BIG time. I hope you feel loads better soon.

Sue :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home